News, Novels & Margaritas

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 12:16 AM | 11 comments »

The US NEWS Industry has had no problem filling their pages, slots or air time over the past weeks. Mother nature has been both horrid and beautiful. The boys of summer are back, while the Stanley Cup is up for grabs. Also, the tall guys are still running the basketball courts. And, let's not forgot today is Ketucky Derby too. I can't wait to see all the ladies in their derby hats. Golf, Nascar, etc. etc.


Out of the headlines, tragic stories will emerge, and so will stories of triumph. Ones which will bring joy to our hearts and cause tears to fall to our cheeks. People need to hear the success stories in order to restore their hope and faith and give them the courage to put one foot in front of the other. They long to hear them.

These headlines become fuel for authors to tell stories. Am I right, PFS sisters?

I know I get ideas for stories from the news. I only need one bit to catch my attention and my imagination is off. However, as a romance writer, my stories will always have a Happily Ever After. I wonder if the media should take a look at romance books sales for guidance in their reporting. While I know it is important to report the tragic developments for a score of reasons, I think the news should end on a happy note.

With that off my chest this morning, I’m going to plan to celebrate the day by helping my very pregnant DIL do some cleaning, plant some flowers, play with my dog, and then this afternoon continue to write a love story with a happy ending.

Oh yeah, since it’s Cinco de Mayo, I’ll mix up a batch of Margaritas and enjoy.

Have a wonderful weekend!


www.autumnjordon.com

11 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // May 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM  

    Autumn, you're so right. I don't watch the news anymore because it's too depressing. That's why I love all things romance. With all the tragedy in the world, it's good to know there is still one thing we can count on. A real romance (not like the movie Cold Mountain) always leaves me with a sense of hope. And hope helps me conquer fear. I can't control the weather, sports results, or even if another child will be abducted, but I can choose to surround myself with positivity. I thank God for romance writers. Reading their stories helped me stay sane in the midst of many dark situations.

  2. Autumn Jordon // May 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM  

    Amen to that, Patrice. Glad you like my Saturday morning rant. Now have a Margarita.

  3. Josie // May 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM  

    Sounds like you have a perfectly lovely weekend planned, Autumn. Enjoy!

  4. Patrice Wilton // May 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM  

    Great blog, Autumn,
    I like the way you get your inspiration from everyday life and put a feel good spin on it. If only real life could follow our script, the world would be a much happier place.

  5. Mary Ricksen // May 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM  

    I dread the news. I'm with Pam!
    Have a great weekend!

  6. Autumn Jordon // May 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM  

    Sorry, Pam, I typed Patrice. Duh, I should've had a second cup off coffee.

    Anyway, the housecleaning is done here and there. Now on to the flower beds. I have a few pansies I've been itching to get in the ground.

    Thanks, Josie. You have one too.

    Patrice, The darkest cloud makes the best rain. WINK TY

    Mary, Me too, but we can't turn a blind eye either. Maybe soemthing we write will help others. Have a good one, hon.

  7. Mona Risk // May 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM  

    Ten years ago I was hooked to the news. From 7 pm to midnight, I sat and watched on TV what happened in the world. Now a day, I hardly turned on the TV. I haven't heard good news in years except for William and Kate's wedding. I'd rather read or write stories with happy endings.

  8. Autumn Jordon // May 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM  

    I hear you, Mona. Keep on writing.

  9. Mary Marvella // May 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM  

    Amen, Pam and Autumn!

  10. Judith Keim // May 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM  

    Autumn, I'm right with you! The human interest stories and top stories of the news are grist for the mill in writing any kind of story. Hope you had a great day and can't wait for your happy ending book!

  11. Beth Trissel // May 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM  

    I'm just now getting around to reading this Autumn, but very much appreciated your thoughts and agree with you. I rarely watch the news. Cold Mountain was terribly depressing. I avoid movies like that if I possibly can. Staying sane and hopeful is a priority with me too. :)