Patricia Mason in Deep Shitake.

Posted by Mary Marvella | 11:38 PM | 9 comments »


Please help me welcome Patricia Mason!  Good Tuesday morning Patrica! I am dying to learn about your book title. A little birdie told me you have one of those stories we shake our heads and say couldn't happen in real life. 

The day I found myself IN DEEP SHITAKE, by Patricia Mason

Are the aliens conducting experiments? Do they have their own version of funniest home videos?  Or maybe God has a really good sense of humor.  I'm not sure what the cosmic explanation is for some of the ridiculous situations I get myself into.  But I'm a big believer in turning lemons into lemonade and sh....tuff into shinola. So.............

What did I do after being stuck in a car window with my posterior embarrassingly exposed to the cold, winter wind? Used it for inspiration in my writing, of course.  Well, that is what I did AFTER I extracted myself from the window, all the while praying my neighbors didn't have a video camera....or it they did, that it was broken, or....Anyway, you get the idea.

A few years ago, I was traveling a long distance by car with my two dogs and was trapped in a sudden whiteout. My car spun 360 degrees on the highway and came to rest off the road in a snow bank. I was towed out but by the time I got home a few hours later, the doors of the car were frozen and I couldn't get them open to get out. By then the dogs were desperate for a bathroom (or fire hydrant) break. I was able to get my window down to about the half-way point. But I was forced to try to crawl out.

Since I was dressed for comfort in a skirt with slouchy socks with clogs, by the time I got halfway out the window, the socks and shoes had come off and my skirt was up around my waist.

I used this incident, in a fictionalized way, in my new romantic suspense, IN DEEP SHITAKE. My heroine is trying to break into the car instead of out when she becomes stuck in a humiliating position. The hunky hero just happens to come along and find her.

I'm not sure if I would have been happier if my own embarrassing incident had ended with a sexy Brit rescuing me from my predicament. Instead, I finally managed to fall out and land in the snow. If a sexy man had found me stuck, I probably would never have been able to emerge from my house ever, ever, ever, again dying from the humiliation. However, having a guy like the sexy Ross from my book might have made the shame worthwhile.

Here's the overview of my story:

Take one devastatingly handsome movie star.
Add in one outrageously sexy female private eye with a penchant for food-word obscenities.
Mix in a dose of mistaken identity and a handful of Russian mobsters.
And they're all In Deep Shitake.


In Deep Shitake is FREE May 7-9th as part of the Spring Fling Free Par-Tay. Dozens of other books (Romances from sweet to HOT. Thrillers, Mysteries, Horror and more. Fantastic books, many by award-winning and best-selling authors.) Readers can find all the free books at www.freepartay.com.  I hope you'll all come and party with us at the Par-Tay!

In fact, the heroine of In Deep Shitake is also featured in another Free Par-Tay FREE book, A Thriller Anthology called Bullets, Brass and Babes. http://www.amazon.com/Bullets-Brass-Babes-Anthology-ebook/dp/B007V69ZKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334852428&sr=8-1
Look for the story IT KEEPS GETTING SHITAKIER.

 ADD THIS TO JOANNE'S BARGAINS FOR YESTERDAY!!




9 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM  

    Good Tuesday morning, Patricia. Still laughing about the story!

  2. Judith Keim // May 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM  

    Very, very cute story ideas, Patricia! Love the humor and fun of the words and the story. Good luck with it! Sounds like a winner!

  3. Beth Trissel // May 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM  

    Hello Patricia! Welcome to the Fuzzies. Love your humor and the book title is great.

  4. Anonymous // May 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM  

    Thanks Mary. I'm laughing...now. At the time....it was more like "Shitake" without the "ake".

    Judy: Thanks so much for your well wishes. You are kind.

    Beth: Thank you for the warm welcome and for your compliment. : )

    Pat Mason

  5. Pamela Varnado // May 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM  

    Hey Patrice, I love your title. It fits the humorous tone of the story. Good luck with your sales.

  6. Barbara Monajem // May 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM  

    Heh. I'm glad I have insomnia tonight, because it means I finally found time to read this blog. :~)

  7. Patrice Wilton // May 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM  

    Patricia, What a terrible, awkward position to find yourself in, but you certainly made lemonade with those lemons, didn't you? Your book sounds great, and I wish you the best of luck.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM  

    Blogger is hating on me again! I left a comment, really I did. Pat, welcome to the pink fuzzies, we are so glad you stopped by. I've downloaded a copy of your book and forwarded a link to several friends! Good luck and many, many downloads to you.

  9. Josie // May 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM  

    Hi Patricia,
    A belated welcome from me to the PFS blog. Fabulous, funny book, and super congrats for a successful release.
    And, I'm a lover of bargains, so thanks for offering your book free!