We’re delighted to have you join us at the Fuzzy hangout, Faith. To get us started, I have some questions for you to ponder, the sorts of things all of us, readers and writers alike, wonder about. So kick back, pour yourself a cup of coffee and spill. (Your thoughts, not the coffee.)
 1) What was it that made you want to be an author? Are you one of those writers like me whose been scribbling since childhood, or did the burning desire to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard strike far later in life?  

I’m like you. I’ve been writing something or another since the sixth grade. Of course, I did not get serious about it, by actually following though on a book until 2000.

2) And a follow up question, are you a diehard romantic (like me) and is that what prompted you to write romance?   Have you ever written in another genre or considered it?   

I am a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to reading. It has to be romance, but I have tackled different genres since I first found “Mann Of The Medical Wing,” a Harlequin romance my brother’s wife had. I was fifteen. Now, I pretty much read paranormals, time travels, and historicals. And they just happen to be what I love to write! However, I may get around to writing a non-fiction book sooner or later.

3) Also along those lines, what draws you to write paranormal romance? And how do you come up with your ideas? I’m assuming a fabulous imagination enters in.   
I never thought I would ever pen a vampire romance. I am a chicken at heart, (Me too :) and don’t like to look at scary things, but I wanted to enter a contest, and after taking a nap one afternoon, I dreamed about a guy who seemed to be a vampire. He was a bit arrogant, handsome, and oh so possessive…lol.  After I wrote “Kensington’s Soul” the first book in my “Bound By Blood, The Legends” series, I was hooked. How do I come up with these ideas? Well, it’s like this. My brother asked me if I just had stuff rattling around inside my head. I told him yes, and that was as good thing or I wouldn’t be able to write.

4) Do you ever struggle with writer’s block, and if so, what are some of your coping strategies?  Apart from bribing yourself with chocolate, as some of us do. 

Beth, I don’t think I do, or I haven’t in a long time. For me it’s mostly finding the time to write at the moment. But for me when I did get it, reading a book, chocolate, all kinds of things helped. A tip an instructor gave me years ago when I did an article on his solution for writers block, is to turn off the monitor and just let your fingers type. At that time back in 2001 or so, I needed that advice, and it did help! And one of my problems is turning my characters off…lol. They like to jabber in my head way too much when I’m supposed to be doing something else.

5) Is there someone in your life you consider to be your inspiration, or many such individuals?   

There are several someones! First I would have to say God, his son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Without the peace of mind this heavenly host brings, I couldn’t write. Next on my list would be my daughter, who took care of her dad while he was sick so I could work. I know it was hard on her, and I hated it so badly. She is awesome.  Then there is my brother Rod. He has always believed in me, and makes me feel like I’ve arrived…lol.  Of course, there are so many authors out there who have supported me, picked me up when I got rejected, and gave me sound advice!

6) Do you base any of your characters on people you know?  Of course, as it says in the start of our books, ‘any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales, is entirely coincidental.’  

Actually, I don’t. I do however use unusual names of people I meet.
  
7) What would you consider to be your favorite book you’ve written?   

Well, I love my first book, which has yet to find a home. It is a medieval. After that it would be “Dunbar’s Curse” the second book in my vampire series. And I love “Viking, Go Home.” A time travel with, you guessed it, a Viking. I am especially pleased with the first book in my “Immortal Executioner” series. It allows me to explore how archangels work and how they look on the evil that is in the world. Of course, readers will love the Highlander hero who fights demons.

8) Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?   
Okay, let’s see, I know Beth Trissel is one of them! You rock with your time travels. (Awww, shucks.) And let’s just say I love a lot of the paranormal authors out there. If I tried to list them we’d be here a week…lol.

9) How do you--or have you--coped with rejection?   

Well, I’ve learned not to get as upset as I did with my first two or three…lol. I wanted to rip my manuscript apart. Now, I leave it alone for a day or so and go back and then read the reasons why it was rejected. Sometimes you can find a beacon of inspiration in the editor’s words, and then again sometimes you just write up a scene and kill people off…lol.

10) Any new projects you’re at work on, or new directions you’d like to tell us about?   
Oh yes, I am working on a series that will deal with the Archangel Michael heading up a group of immortal executioners. I also have book coming out with Siren Bookstrand in May 2011. It is also a paranormal.

Wow.  Fascinating, Faith, and you're an amazingly productive author.  An inspiration to us all.  I've decorated this post with your lovely covers and didn't get all of them up here.

Thank you so much, and for having me back here! I love you and this blog!  Hugs!

Faith
 

For more on Faith please visit her website at: http://www.faithvsmith.com/

24 comments

  1. Keena Kincaid // April 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM  

    Good morning, Faith. Your books sound fascinating. Chocolate for writer's block, eh? I usually go for a long walk, and that helps. But another reason to snack is always good, too.

  2. Mona Risk // April 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

    Welcome to the Pink Fuzzy Slippers, Faith. I can see more beautiful stories coming since your characters never leave you in peacewww.monarisk.com.

  3. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

    Morning Keena! Thanks so much! I love to write, and when I can't I get antsy! LOL! Chocolate is an all around good fix for a lot of things...lol.

    Faith

  4. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

    Hi Mona! Yes, I have a cast of characters to be written that drive me nuts...lol.

    Good to see you here, and thank you for the lovely comp!

    Faith

  5. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

    Beth, thank you so much for having me back! I had a blast last year! This is such an awesome blog and the members are so sweet and talented!

    Faith

  6. Judith Keim // April 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Faith. You are so prolific - and your stories sound wonderful! Congratulations on your success!I'm sure you've got a lot more stories in your head and your heart!

  7. Beth Trissel // April 13, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

    So good to have you, Faith. And Keena, I'm always on the prowl for a good snack and any excuse will do. :)

  8. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

    Thank you so much, Judy! Your words mean so much to me!

    Faith

  9. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

    Beth, you are a doll! I love you and your work so much!

    Faith

  10. Autumn Jordon // April 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Faith. You have some wonderful covers. I'm definitely going to click over to your web site and check their stories out.

    A shower or a long walk helps me when I need to relax and just let the story happen.

    Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

  11. Mary Ricksen // April 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM  

    What a great interview. Welcome to our blog Faith. I love paranormals!
    And your books jump right out at me!
    Good luck and sell a ton!

  12. Anonymous // April 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

    Hi, Faith (and Beth!) You ladies are BOTH terrific writers. This was a great interview and the new series sounds thrilling, Faith. Thanks so much for all you do for romance writing. You're amazing.
    smooches,
    Liz

  13. Mary Marvella // April 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM  

    Welcome, Faith,

    Great blog. I love your covers. Your books sound like keepers. I
    ; glad Beth brought you here.

  14. Nightingale // April 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM  

    Your Immortal Executioner series sounds fascinating. It seems angels/demons are the wave of the future and you're already in there.

  15. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

    Hi Autumn,

    Thank you so much for your praise of the covers. I love them too! It is always wonderful to be here with ya'll.

    Faith

  16. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

    Hi Mary!

    Good to see you again! Thanks so much!

    Faith

  17. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM  

    (((Liz))) Thank you always for being one of my most earnest supporters! You make me feel special!

    Hugs!

    Smooches back!

    Faith

  18. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM  

    Hi Mary,

    Your words are just what I needed to hear! Thank you so much!

    Faith

  19. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

    Hi Nightingale! I love this new series. It allows me to write on a subject that is as fascination as it is deadly.

    Hugs!

    Faith

  20. Pamela Varnado // April 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM  

    I have a confession. I'm one of readers that judge a book by its over. And wow, I love your book covers! Especially the one for Immortal Executioner. Sometimes I think people forget how important a sexy cover is for a romance. I found one of my favorite authors (Christine Feehan) because of the hot dude on the cover. He just out at me. No kidding.

  21. Faith V. Smith // April 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

    Ooooh Pamela, thank you!!!!!! I love my covers and my guys! Thank you so much! This is awesome to know you like Christine's covers, so do I, as well as mine!

    Faith

  22. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM  

    Welcome Faith! We're pleased to have you visit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and path to writing. I found your story very interesting and will be adding your work to my to be read pile.

  23. Faith V. Smith // April 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM  

    Dear Scarlet, please forgive me for not getting to this sooner. Thank you for adding me to your to be read list! It is my honor!

    Please let me know what you think!

    Faith

  24. Josie // April 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

    Faith,
    A sincere and belated welcome to the Pink Fuzzies. Your books sound wonderful!