Most of you know I love to cook. Biscuits are a real weakness, probably because I associate them with my Grandmother. The woman could cook circles around any chef on television. I've been on a quest for the best biscuit and this is the closest I've come to matching Grams.

Ingredients:

5 cups (Pioneer Brand) buttermilk baking mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1-1/4 cup 7-up soda
1 cube butter, divided
1 tablespoon bacon grease

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Whisk together the dry ingredients.
Add in the sour cream and buttermilk, stir.
Add 7-up a little at a time, until dough comes together and is shaggy.
Add more baking mix if needed.
Sprinkle a bit of the baking mix on the counter, turn out dough onto counter and gently pat dough into a round about 1 inch thick.
Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter or a glass dipped into flour, begin to cut out biscuits. (DO NOT TWIST THE COOKIE CUTTER)
Melt 1/2 cube butter and bacon grease in baking sheet, only until melted, use a fork to swirl butter and grease together, covering the entire bottom surface.
Place them on a hot baking sheet, sides slightly touching for soft biscuits, or about an inch apart if you like the edges more crisp.
Melt remaining butter and brush the tops.

Bake at 500 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.

If you're fond of your biscuits, I'd like to hear what you thought of trying this recipe.

Enjoy!

deb

11 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // July 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM  

    Dang, Deb! I'm on a low carb diet.

    (But not forever, so I'll save the recipe.)

  2. debjulienne // July 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM  

    Barb, let me know when you try it.

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM  

    Oh my! This looks like a great recipe. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

  4. Beth Trissel // July 17, 2014 at 8:33 AM  

    They look yummy. I am gluten intolerant so would have to make them with gluten free flour.

  5. debjulienne // July 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM  

    Scarlet, this is the best recipe I've come up with to date...and they are light, don't fall apart when you put butter, jam, or gravy on them,...heavenly.

  6. debjulienne // July 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM  

    Beth, I'll bet they'd still be great...let me know if you try them the the GF flour.

  7. Mary Ricksen // July 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  8. Mary Ricksen // July 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM  

    Yummmmmy!

  9. Mary Marvella // July 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM  

    They look good to me!

  10. debjulienne // July 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM  

    Mary/Mary: you won't be disappointed!

  11. Josie Riviera // August 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM  

    Another great recipe, Deb. These look absolutely, positively delicious.