Dandelions don't have much to do with this post -- but they're my favorite flower, and I took some pics of them up north last month, where they're much bigger and juicier-looking than where I live in the south. I didn't notice until now that there is some kind of bug in this pic, too. (Generally speaking, I'm fond of bugs as long as they don't bite me.)



On to the purpose of this post:

Lauren Gilbert, the author of Heyerwood, was kind enough to tag me for the Writing Process Blog Hop. Thank you, Lauren! You can visit her blog here:  http://laurengilbertheyerwood.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/the-writing-process-blog-hop/  

A few simple rules apply to this blog hop: 1. You publish on a Monday the week after being tagged and answer four questions and 2. Link back to the blog of the person who tagged you to let him or her know you appreciate it. You’re also supposed to tag someone else, but I haven’t been able to find anyone to take it on, as most of the authors I know have already participated! I was out of town for several weeks in March and April and not on the Internet as much as usual, so I missed most of the fun. However, these blog hops tend to recur, so maybe next time I’ll find someone to tag. In the meantime, here goes:

1.      What am I working on right now?

Two Regency romances. One is a full-length sequel to two of my novellas (The Wanton Governess and The Unrepentant Rake). It’s about Sally Carling, the younger sister of the heroes of the two novellas, and the working title is The Abductor’s Kiss. The other is a spy story with magic – a hero who sees fairies, a heroine who suddenly acquires magical powers, and some hobgoblins. :) No working title for that; usually I don’t have a title in mind, so I just name the file after one of my main characters. I’m also working on a novella about a succubus and another contemporary paranormal in my Bayou Gavotte series, but both of these are on the back burner for now.

2.      How is my work different from others in the genre?

I don’t fit into any one genre. Some of my Regencies are pretty standard, but others have magic in them. My contemporary paranormal romances are also mysteries, and the vampires in them aren’t undead. Basically, I dance to the tune of the birdsong in my mind and hope people will enjoy reading what I write.

3.      Why do I write what I do?

Because it’s what I like to read. (I notice that Lauren Gilbert said that, too, and I bet many other authors did so as well.) Mostly, I enjoy history, mystery, magic and romance, and at least two of these are found in everything I write.

4.      How does my writing process work?

Usually, I have an idea for a plot or a main character and just start writing. Then, after a few chapters and a lot of going off on tangents, I have a better idea of who the characters are and how the plot and their character arcs will fit together. Then I revise the first chapters and keep going. 

I can’t sit down and write a whole first draft without any revising. I always revise as I go, partly because going over what I’ve just written helps me get back into the story, and partly because the story evolves so much during the writing process. Besides, going back and revising gives me a breather and helps me move forward when I’m not quite sure what’s going to happen next. 

My latest release is BACK TO BITE YOU, a novella that takes place in the funky little Louisiana town of Bayou Gavotte. It’s a prequel to the Bayou Gavotte series (three novels of which are already out there). Since Bayou Gavotte has a lot of clubs, some kinky and some not so much, I wanted to put one in this story -- so it has a food fight club. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Bite-You-Novella-Gavotte-ebook/dp/B00K0LC2GY/
IS THIS LOVE – OR MURDER?

A female vampire in hiding, a hunk with a mission, and a sinister history uncovered. 

When vampire Mirabel Lane goes to Bayou Gavotte to hide out from the mobster she just dumped, the last thing she expects is to inherit a house. No, make that the second to last thing. What she really doesn’t expect is to fall for the previous owner’s gorgeous grandson.

When Gerry Kingsley goes to Bayou Gavotte to check out probable gold-digger and possible murderer Mirabel Lane, the last thing he expects is to fall in love with the irresistible twenty-something vampire.
                        
No, what he really doesn’t expect is to unearth―once and for all―his family’s dark, convoluted past.



BTW, I'm also extremely partial to moss. I took this picture on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state last month. More on that another day. :~))





20 comments

  1. Ella Quinn - Romance Novelist // May 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM  

    Loved the pictures and the post, Barbara!! I tweeted and shared.

  2. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM  

    Thanks, Ella. You're awesome! :)

  3. Ally Broadfield // May 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM  

    Lovely pictures! I'm the same way. I cannot write a first draft without revising as I go. Can't wait to read the Regency you're working on!

  4. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM  

    Thanks for stopping by, Ally. I can't wait to finish writing the dang Regency -- and congrats on your new release. :)

  5. Beth Trissel // May 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM  

    Wonderful pics, Barbara. Especially the tree. I love your imagination. Your stories sound wonderful.

  6. Lana Williams // May 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM  

    Loved the post, Barbara! The more I read of these, the more I realize that all writers are different! Keep writing!

  7. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM  

    Hi, Beth. Yeah, that tree's awesome, isn't it?

  8. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM  

    Hi, Lana. Yeah, writers share many similarities and yet each one of us is unique.

  9. Josie // May 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM  

    Barbara, your writing process sounds a lot like mine. I can't write a complete first draft without going back and revising, either. Good luck on your latest project. I love your writing!

  10. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM  

    Thanks, Josie! :)

  11. Nightingale // May 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM  

    Enjoyed the answers to your questions. I did the baton pass, and it was quite fun. Lovely photos, too. And the cover for Back to Bite You is, like your other covers, spectacular.

  12. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM  

    Thanks, Linda. It's the first cover where I've had some input, which makes me particularly pleased with the result. :)

  13. Mary Ricksen // May 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM  

    I love the cover too! I am a moss person myself. Have a little faery garden set up with moss. good luck with the new books!

  14. Barbara Monajem // May 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM  

    Wow, Mary, a faery garden! How cool. One of the books I'm writing now has fairies in it. :)

  15. Mary Marvella // May 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM  

    Always something new to learn about a friend. I tried the pass twice and dropped the baton the second time! I loved your photos.

  16. Lauren Gilbert // May 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM  

    I enjoyed your post, Barbara. I suspect that we all write what we want to read!

  17. Barbara Monajem // May 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM  

    Hi, Mary M! It's comforting to have a fellow baton-dropper...

  18. Barbara Monajem // May 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM  

    Hi, Lauren -- Thanks for tagging me! I enjoyed writing the post.

  19. Anonymous // May 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM  

    Barbara, love the pictures. My yard has lots of those little yellow beauties, but my hubby calls them weeds! I say live and let live. If we killed them all we would have no lawn. Enjoyed the insight into your writing process.

    Scarlet

  20. Barbara Monajem // May 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM  

    Hi, Scarlet. Not only are dandelions beautiful, but they're useful. I drink dandelion root tea quite a bit. I've eaten the leaves, too.