If you’re reading this, you obviously know I’m a writer…what you may NOT know is that many of the scenes in my books come from real life incidents. Today I’m sharing something that happened and I’m still LMAO about it.

Last week, my daughter sends me email asking me to print some papers for her college Chem Class…she needed 3 copies…I did, but I also didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the papers. I removed them from the printer and set them aside. Easy peasy…right? Uh, no–never!

Daughter comes over, I hand her the stack of papers and as far as I’m concerned, Mom’s good deed for the day is done. She staples the copies and off she goes to school to turn them in.

HOWEVER,…after class the Professor tells her to stay behind, she wants to speak to her. The Professor hands my daughter her paper and says, “You included some extra credit which I can’t count, but I did take a picture of it.”

Her comment has my daughter scratching her head. Rachel says, “But, I didn’t turn in any extra credit.”

The Professor, with a straight face, hands her back her paper and my daughter can see through the back copy that there is a pink image of some sort. Rachel takes the paper, flips through to the last page and according to her, she thought she was going to die of embarrassment. There on the last page is a recipe I had printed to laminate for the upcoming Brenda Novak Online Diabetes Auction. It’s a recipe of a drink I created for my debut book, ‘Sex, Lies, and Beauty Aides’. The recipe was for “Kinky Sex on the Beach” a passion fruit flavored cocktail.

This is the image that was on the page along with the recipe.












Now for added embarrassment, my daughter’s Chem partner is standing there. The Chem partner is also a long-time childhood friend who has witnessed a number of these instances. Leandra leaned over Rachel’s shoulder and started laughing–I don’t mean a giggle, I mean all out, knee-slapping-belly-whopper-jaw-aching-belly-laugh!!! Rachel stammered but finally found her voice and proceeded to try to explain that her mom's a writer and our stuff must have accidently been mixed together. She’s scrambling to break out her iPhone to show the professor my website, with the title of the book, but no cell reception. The Professor starts laughing, the friend is laughing harder, and Rachel said she didn’t think she’d ever lose the red face or the humiliation.

I had completely forgotten I’d printed out a recipe for ‘Kinky Sex on the Beach’. I’m making a basket that will include a copy of my book and some fun items from the story.

Rachel was stuttering as she told me about the incident, glaring and still very red-faced, while telling me how mortified she was to have to explain to her Prof it was her pervy mom’s recipe from her book.

My response was: “You’re lucky I’d already laminated the recipe for ‘Sex in a pan’.”








My work on Earth is done–I have thoroughly embarrassed my daughter…and I still can’t stop laughing!

And in case you’re interested, here is the link to the basket I’m donating to the Diabetes Auction:

http://brendanovak.auctionanything.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3362461

Please check out the auction, there’s something for EVERYONE!!!

Thanks for letting me share.

Deb

20 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // April 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM  

    Ahhh, Deb, once again you had me laughing! Thanks! I love to embarrass my daughter and keep a straight face while doing it.

  2. Patricia Rickrode w/a Jansen Schmidt // April 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM  

    Oh yeah - that's priceless! Good work mom.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

  3. Mary Ricksen // April 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM  

    It's a rough job Mom, but someone has to do it! LOL Love it!

  4. Donnell Ann Bell // April 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM  

    It's our job to embarrass our daughters! Great post. Just remember, she gets to choose your retirement home... My daughter always threatens me with that! :)

  5. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM  

    MM, I haven't laughed that hard in ages...when she told me what happened I snickered, snorted, and couldn't stop...yeah, Mom triumphs again!

  6. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM  

    Patricia, like I said, my job is done...until next time....hahaha!

  7. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM  

    MaryR, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one...it's just soooo darn fun!

  8. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM  

    Donnell, she may choose the home, but I'll go kicking screaming and sharing all the way.

  9. Beth Trissel // April 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM  

    Deb, this is hilarious! I love it.

  10. Philippa Lodge // April 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM  

    Taking notes on how to embarrass my kids even when they're in college. Yes!

  11. Kathye Thornton // April 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM  

    Good for you, Deb. That's part of the perks for having kids!
    Kathye

  12. Barbara Monajem // April 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM  

    What a hoot! Thanks for a great laugh, Deb.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 30, 2014 at 7:33 PM  

    Deb, I love it! We should put together a book of ways romance authors embarrass their children/spouses and donate the proceeds to diabetes research! Everyone has a story!

  14. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM  

    Hi Beth, glad you liked it...I love when this kind of stuff happens...to somebody else, not me...hehehe!

  15. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM  

    Phyllis, we need to start a club!

  16. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM  

    Kathye, it's the best part!

  17. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM  

    Barbara, you're welcome...I'm sure there will be more to come...probably my own embarrassment next time.

  18. debjulienne // April 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM  

    Scarlet, I so agree...and I'll be donating some of my profits to it as well, since it runs in my family...the sooner they find a cure the better.

  19. Josie // May 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM  

    Deb, Your story is hilarious but hopefully all is forgiven by your daughter. And the best part is contributing to Brenda's auction for diabetes.

  20. debjulienne // May 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM  

    Josie, you're right, I've had more fun making up this basket...all sorts of fun things the winner will get. I'm making a batch of Kinky Sex on the Beach Jam this weekend so it will be fresh...happy bidding!