It's been awhile since I posted a recipe, so I thought I'd share a family favorite. It's delicious and so easy to make. I feed a big crowd so luckily this stretches the way I need it. Add a salad and you have a great dinner.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 red onion (diced)
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper (diced)
2 diced scallions
1 Tbsp crushed and finely diced garlic
1 package (4 links) Aidell's Cajun Sausage thinly sliced
1 tsp paprika
1-1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup mixed grain (see note below)
1 32oz container Swanson's Chicken Broth
1 small can diced tomatoe with green chilis
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1-2 lbs, cleaned shrimp, tails removed
1 cup Soycotash mixed veggies (available at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp butter
salt and pepper to taste (I've never needed to add additonal salt or pepper)
Note: I keep a container of mixed grains: quinoa, bulgar, spelt, millet, barley, farro, wild rice)

Directions: In a large skillet, saute, onions, pepper, scallions, garlic in olive oil, 5 minutes.
Add rice and grain mixture.
Add broth, sausage, paprika, crushed red pepper, tomatoe/green chilis, soycotash. Stir, cover, let cook for 5 minutes.
Stir, drop to low, let simmer for 15 minutes.
In a separate skillet at 1 tsp butter, cleaned peeled shrimp, and parsley, cook until almost done, set aside.

5 minutes before serving add shrimp stir, and serve.

Enjoy!
Deb

9 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // April 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM  

    You got me, I can't eat spicy stuff. It looks so good!

  2. Barbara Monajem // April 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM  

    Yum! I love jambalaya. When I get off my low or no carb diet, I'll make some. :)

  3. Toni V.S. // April 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM  

    Even looking at the picture made me gain weight. Do they serve Jambalaya in Bayou Gavotte, Barbara?

  4. debjulienne // April 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM  

    Barbara, when I'm worried about carbs, I swap the white rice for brown, then cut the rice in half and make it mostly Quinoa...since it's protein.

  5. debjulienne // April 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM  

    Toni, I love to make this when I have to serve a lot of people, it's filling, and easy to make.

  6. Josie // April 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM  

    This recipe looks delicious. I've never made jambalaya before, but this is a keeper. Thanks for the ideas to lower the carbs.

  7. Mary Marvella // April 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM  

    This looks wonderful!

  8. debjulienne // April 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM  

    Josie, when I'm cold, that's the dish I think of, warms me right up.

  9. debjulienne // April 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM  

    Mary, Hope you give it a try sometime.