Yesterday I blogged at EveryoneNeedsALittleRomance on why the designation of RWA PRO exists. It may come as a surprise to some PROs that it's to educate on the business side of publishing and not the craft side. If you didn't get to read yesterday's post, I've linked it above.

As we were chatting about PRO programs, PRO members, etc, it dawned on me that since some PROs may not have ever read the RWA National site for PROs, they may not be aware of four PRO Committees that they could get involved with.

The first is the PRO Steering committee. This committee is responsible for the direction PRO. It can be chaired by the PRO Liaison, but doesn't have to be. The committee is comprised of the members of three sub-committees:

  • PRO-Advocacy Responsible for the PRO Career series and the PRO Mentor of the Year
  • PRO Education Responsible for the PRO online BootCamps (If you don't know what those are...why not? It's free education for PRO members)
  • PRO Communications Responsible for the PRO Newsletter (What? You didn't know there was a PRO newsletter! It's wonderful) and for the PRO section of the RWA National website.
These are time intensive commitments...About 2 hours a month. Who can't give two hours a month to an organization who has given you so much. Two hours. That's nothing. That's only two Castle shows!

So here is my challenge to you. Tell me why you don't get involved (NO judgment on any answer) What would encourage you to get involved? How could RWA PRO help you to further your writing career?

14 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // September 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

    Cindi,
    Thanks for shedding light on RWA's RPO organization. I didn't know it wasn't for enhancing the craft of writing. I haven't volunteered because I hadn't thought about it. But two hours a month isn't a big commitment. Definitely something I can manage.

  2. Anonymous // September 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

    Thanks Pam. I think a lot of people are surprised that enhancing PROs' craft skills isn't the focus for PRO.

    Sometimes we don't volunteer because no one ASKS us.

    Thanks for reading and commenting!

  3. Mary Marvella // September 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

    Interesting. I guess I never considered myself board material, though I volunteer a lot at my local chapter and at conferences. Go, Cyndi! You got my vote and my thanks.

  4. Anonymous // September 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

    Thanks Momma Mary. And if YOU"RE not board material, who is? It's made up of NORMAL people, or at least it should be. Think about volunteering where you can help.

  5. Edie Ramer // September 3, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

    I never thought of volunteering for the other positions. The Pro online Bootcamp appeals.

    See what a great liaison you are? I'm already learning from you. :)

  6. Mary Ricksen // September 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

    Now at leaset we have a clue as ti what is going on.

  7. Anonymous // September 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

    Thanks Edie and Mary. I swear I would try to be a good PRO Liaison.

  8. Jill James // September 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

    Cynthia, I guess I wasn't aware those committees existed to help with the PRO program. I'm my chapter PRO Liaison but I've noticed that loop seems to have died and us chapter PRO liaisons seem to be unclear about what we can do at the local level.

  9. Anonymous // September 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

    You know Jill...I'm pretty sure you're lack of information about the PRO committees is fairly wide spread through PRO. I think more PROs would be involved and really make PRO seriously beneficial if only they KNEW what to do.

    Thanks for coming by

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

    Cindi,
    Once MM had enlightened me as to who Dr. Cynthia Morgan was I rushed right over to vote for her! She told me our Cindi was running and I said, I didn't see her name! Good thing MM had your back. Thanks for the info on all the things PRO! And please do visit with us again soon, we've missed you!

    Scarlet

  11. Keri Ford // September 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

    Jeepers, I'm so behind today.

    why don't I volunteer? Well, starts, I didn't know these positions were available. And as an ender, last time I tried to do something about the PRO loop, put myself out there to improve the place, I, along with several others, were all but given the finger from the higher ups. Not that it wasn't a completely bad experience. I met some WONDERFUL writers because of that conflict.

    I've since gone digest, which means I'm no mail cause I never read those once daily digest letters. so when a notice comes through about looking for volunteers, I don't know about it.

    Really hoping you get this position and hope you're able to fix PRO so it can start being what it was designed for.

  12. Anonymous // September 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

    Hey Scarlet! There are so many people who don't have a clue what my real name is and as soon as this election is over, I'm going back to the pen name TOTALLY! Glad MM let you know. I appreciate your support.

    Keri - thanks for following me around all week! You're a good friend. (ps. I'm on digest too and I miss some stuff sometimes too)

  13. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

    Thanks for such an informative post.

  14. Josie // September 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

    RWA has done more for me, both professionally and socially, than any writer could ever dream. I'm not published yet, but when I am, I will owe a good portion of any success to RWA.

    I also did not realize that PRO focuses on business, not on craft.