Christmas's Past

Posted by Pamela Varnado | 9:05 AM | , , , | 12 comments »

I don’t remember much about my childhood, but as I was shopping for another toy box to contain all those cool playthings my two grandsons received from Santa, my mind went on a trip down memory lane—back to the time of my youth. I remembered the happy dance I’d done when I’d received what I call my first Barbie doll.

Her name was Christie, and oh boy was she beautiful. With the touch of a mother’s loving hands, I spent hours combing and braiding the strands of her long black hair.

If I close my eyes I can almost feel the smoothness of her skin. It was the color of dark chocolate. Yes, she was totally awesome, especially with all those fashionable outfits. After a dip in her plastic pool, she would lounge around in the warm sun in her black-and-white bikini for a while until I dressed her in her nurse’s outfit or evening gown.

And those pretty pink shoes. They’re proof that stilettos will never go out of style.

Now I’m not sure why this memory stayed with me while others faded into oblivion. Maybe it’s because happy memories never really disappear but lie in wait for the right moment to resurface in your mind and make you live the experience again and again.

Unlike my two spoiled rotten grandsons (I confess, I contributed to the condition), I didn’t get many presents on Christmas morning, but I cherished every gift I received.

So take a moment and think of something joyful from your past and I guarantee you’ll smile.

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // January 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

    I loved my dolls! I didn't have Barbies, but I had baby dolls and the pretty "big girl" dolls.

    Any doll would immediately be undressed and redressed, even if I just used bits of fabric to fashion new ones. I even learned to hand- stitch little pieces.

    Being a tomboy, I climbed trees, dragging dolls up with me.

    By the third move I had lost track of many of my "babies" and dress-up girls, but by age thirteen I turned my attention to books.

    By the time my daughter came along the dolls were fancier and needed move stuff.

  2. Beth Trissel // January 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

    I love the nostalgia your post provokes. I had a favorite Barbie too. :)

  3. Anonymous // January 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

    I had Barbie and Ken and Maige and some other guy. I used to send them on "dates". I'd get tired of playing with them and leave them with Ken on top of Barbie. I have no idea what they were doing. I swear. I cannot even image where I got that idea!

  4. Tamara LeBlanc // January 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

    I bet you were cute playing with that Barbie Pam. I wish I knew you back then. We could have had so much fun.
    I used to make barbie beds out of shoe boxes. I'd keep the lid on and cover the entire box with one of my mom's linen napkins. They were the perfect size for a comforter and I'd fold one up to make a pillow. I had to cut the napkin for that, otherwise it would be too big. (Shhh, Don't tell Barbara that little secret) And I'd make bedrooms out of large books opened at right angles. If you were careful you could stack the books and make apartments.
    Man, we could have had a blast!!
    Maybe in our next life.
    Luv,
    Tamara

  5. Mary Ricksen // January 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

    If only we had kept those dolls, we'd be rich today. I remember cutting the hair off of one and putting my own hair on it. Yes I glued it on and I loved it.
    With three sisters I was lucky to have a whole barbie movie crew. And we set up a number of sets. Once we set up our bedroom to be a barbie store. We neatly laid out clothes and pretended we were having a sale. We thought it looked soooo cool. Of course my mother was not impressed and we had to close up shop.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

    Oh Pam, what memories you evoke! I loved my Barbies as did my daughter after me and my granddaughter today. I had one with a few changes of clothes. Then my daddy taught me how to sew on Momma's electric sewing maching! Boy the fun we had! Daddy work in the mill and was a fixer, so he knew all about the workings of the sewing machine and all the strange attachments that came with it. We would play at that machine for hours while Momma visited with company! I suspect Momma had bribed him to keep my nosey little self out of her grown-up hen party!

    Scarlet-smiling at the memories

  7. Anonymous // January 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

    I swear everyday I learn something new. You being my mom, I can't even imagine you have a doll. I loved your blog Mom, it was perfect like always. I am so proud of you Momma. I love you and I will be seeing you very soon.

    Your Tina

  8. Anonymous // January 23, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

    i do not even know where to begin, that was amazing. You are such a great writer, the way your words brought the image to my mind. it was amazing

  9. Anonymous // January 23, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

    Wow is all that i can say, you are amazing, you most definitely have talent. You are an amazing writer Mrs. Vanardo, i can learn alot from you.

    Charles.

  10. Anonymous // January 23, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

    I think Barbies came out after I past the doll age. I do remember getting a transitor radio one Xmas. It was pink and I loved it. But the radio station seemed to play only one song- The Lion Sleeps Tonight. To this day, I hate that song.

    Great post, Pam.

    Connie Gillam

  11. Josie // January 24, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

    Pam,
    My favorite doll was the "Chatty Cathy." Now that I look back, when you pulled the string--that doll was loud.

    Thanks for sharing your memories.

  12. Pamela Varnado // January 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

    Thanks everyone for all your comments. And I hope you took a moment to remember.