My Daddy Lied, So I Tell Stories

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 12:22 AM | 12 comments »



Yep, the man missed his calling. He could spin some big ones. He'd make up a lie and use another one to prop it up. I grew up watching him and listening. He'd make up a lie when the truth would suit the best. After about the third time he told the tale, he came to believe it was true. Just proud as a peacock!


That's call revisionist history. If I'd know it then, I'd have realized my daddy marked me for my future career. You see, I am an historian. In spite of my Dad's influence, I try to keep my history on the up and up. None of my daddy's little lies.


Then there's the other thing that my daddy gave me. The ability to lie really well. He was a pro and I grew up following in his footsteps. But I use my talent differently. I lie all I want, make up whopping tales and embellish them something terrible. I bend the truth and torture the words into shapes my English teacher would be hard pressed to unwind. I write fiction.


Yep, that's what I do. I make up lies and embellish the truth and paint little ditties for the world to see and it's all because my Daddy lied. Thanks Dad, you gave me quite a gift.

12 comments

  1. J.L. Murphey // April 16, 2011 at 3:03 AM  

    Well, I guess you have to blame someone...daddies are usually the fall GUY.

    But through the embellishment, he taught you creativity and imagination. That is truly his gift to you.

  2. Judith Keim // April 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

    Cute, Scarlett! It is fun to write fiction, making characters do and say and react the way you want them to. And, I guess, your Daddy knew that too!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM  

    J.L. my dad was one of a kind and I say that in a nice way. He could do anything, fix anything and wove the most wonderful stories of his adventures during WWII. Some of which, I've come to learn, although embellished, were actually the truth. Sorry, dad for not always believing you!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

    Judy, when Dad was alive, I didn't appreciate his gift. Now I do and this is sort of my way of saying thanks for the gift.

  5. Josie // April 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

    Scarlet,
    What a nice, tongue-in-cheek tribute to your dad. His ability to spin stories was obviously inherited by you.

  6. Nightingale // April 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM  

    Another girl with a wonderful dad!! You keep lying in your fiction. You do it very, very well.

  7. Mary Ricksen // April 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM  

    To remember your dad with such fondness is a gift. And storytelling to me is another. So your dad gave you two gifts in one.
    And the ability to make people believe you is what it's all about.
    Great blog Scarlett!

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

    Yes, I guess it is finally time to admit that he really did give me a great gift. He was my idol as a child. He, and not mom, taught me to sew. Mom had an old fashioned tredle sewing machine and there was a cotton bag filled with attachments that went with it. Dad taught me how to use all of them. The hem attachment, the gatherer, the seam gauge. We used them all. I had the best dressed Barbie in town.

  9. Mary Marvella // April 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

    Scarlet and I spent the day with a bunch of liars! Yep, we were with writers. Her daddy sounds like one of those folks we southerners would call a character.

    My mama always said "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

  10. Mary Marvella // April 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM  

    Hey, Jo!

  11. Mona Risk // April 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

    Cute. I like your way of defining fiction writing. But you're absolutely right. The definition of fiction is : made-up stories.

  12. Barbara Monajem // April 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

    LOL, Scarlet. Your daddy sounds wonderful.

    Wasn't it fun hanging out with a bunch of liars the other day? I was sorry I had to leave early.