Pre

Posted by Jianne Carlo | 9:28 AM | 6 comments »

The Founding Colonies – New Hampshire

In case you’re new to this blog, I’m on a citizenship quest and I’m determined to know each state one by one. I’ve started with the Thirteen Founding Colonies, and I’m doing those in alphabetical order. After that I’m going to go through the 33 states as each one joined the constitution.

I visited New Hampshire once for a training course. While I have vague memories of pretty countryside on the way to and from Manchester and the airport, I didn’t manage to see more of the state other than that. The reason for the visit was a brutal training course on presentations. The day we arrived, the course began with a videotape of each participant doing a presentation on a topic given five minutes before the actual presentation began.

They replayed the video and everyone in the course had to give six positive and six negative comments on the presentation. Now bear in mind, I was the only woman in a roomful of around forty males.

The following day they trained us on body language, inflection, eye contact, you name an aspect, they covered it. That night they assigned us into random teams of two, gave us a topic, forty minutes, and then we had to present. Every step of the way someone was declared a winner.

The last day reverted to individual presentations with the prize being the number one spot and a chance for a week’s vacation in St. Croix.

Three months later, the DH and I vacationed in St. Croix. I have very fond memories associated with New Hampshire.

So below are the New Hampshire facts.

New Hampshire

Capital: Concord
Size: approximately 8,969 square miles with 13 miles of coastline
Size Rank: 45
Bird: Purple Finch
Admitted to Statehood: June 21, 1788, 9th Constitution
Population: 1,235,796
Presidents (birth): Franklin Pierce
Vice Presidents (birth): Henry Wilson

One name caught my eye in the list of famous New Hampshirites (cute) - Alan Shepard, the astronaut. Until I was twelve my driving ambition was to become an astronaut. I started studying astronomy, I wrote to twelve American Universities explaining my ambition and requested information on programs and admission requirements. To my utter dismay, each reply contained a requirement I could not fulfill, you had to have been born in the United States.

Notwithstanding the devastating disappointment, I retain to this day a near-obsession with NASA and space. I have five people I consider my heroes, Neil Armstrong’s on that list, but Alan Shepard barely missed a spot. The first American in space, the fifth man to walk on the moon,

Shepard began his career in the Navy (Rear Admiral) and earned his wings in 1947. In 1959 he received an invitation (along with 109 others) to join the newly formed National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Just thinking about all the changes he saw and was part of over the following three decades boggles my mind. What I would have given to meet him, spend an hour (or fifteen - I am such a greedy-guts) interrogating him (nicely) on his experiences.

Can you imagine the courage it took back then to volunteer to be the second man to orbit the earth? To take a trip to the moon not knowing if you’d ever return?

Hell - if I had the money I would buy one of Branson’s tickets to the moon and pray fervently the trip would happen in my lifetime.

Would you?



Cheers,


Jianne Carlo

6 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // September 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

    Like you, I've always had an obession with going into space. I could even live in a space station. Just think, instead of waking up to the sun, I could open my eyes to celestial bodies floating outside my portal window. It would be amazing!!! Hope I get there.

  2. Mary Ricksen // September 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

    Ohhh Nooo. Not me, with my luck the tiles would come off. Now if you're talking Star Trek kind of ship. Heck, I'm in.
    Although I will always have fond memories of being transported to Mars with John Carter as written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I could skip the whole ship thing entirely.
    But, would I go up today...No Way!
    I hope you all get a chance to go to outer space, but I advise you to wait until your next life. By then maybe technology will be better.

  3. Mary Marvella // September 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

    So much information! Thanks!

  4. Judith Keim // September 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

    It all is very interesting. I lived in New Hampshire for a number of years. Not my favorite place, but like all states it has its beautiful places. Thanks for the info!!

  5. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

    New Hampshire is a lovely founding colony to learn more about. Thanks!

  6. Josie // September 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

    New Hampshire is a beautiful state. My great uncle, who is now nearing 100 years old, has lived there all his life. In fact, he remarried at 80, but has since gotten a divorce.

    I've always been interested in space. Great post!