Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers Welcome Hywela Lyn

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 10:52 PM | 37 comments »

ChildrenoftheMist_W1894_300 Hi Lyn! Thanks for stopping by today.

I first met Lyn after receiving one of the worst reviews ever. The reviewer apologized, her mom was ill and she was very down. Lyn was one of the kind TWRP authors who emailed me when she saw it. Everyone of my fellow authors was supportive, but Lyn, well she’s very special. Over an ocean away from me, she felt my sadness and her words lifted my spirits. Someone who didn’t know me from Adam took the time to care about my feelings. The goodness in her heart is worth more than gold. It’s a privilege to know her.

It shows in her writing.

Blurb: Two minds united against a common foe. Two hearts afraid to show their love: Long ago Tamarith fell in love with a man she can never have, and is convinced she will never love another. However, she cannot help but be intrigued by a handsome stranger whose psychic powers exceed even her own. Vidarh seeks only to find his true purpose in life and to win the regard of his father, who eschews his son’s psychic abilities. Thrown together by a common threat to their planet, then torn apart by an evil greater than any they could have imagined, can Vidarh save the lovely Nifl woman who has captivated him, before it is too late? Will Tamarith and Vidarh overcome the deadly enemy who threatens to destroy all they know and love? Will they find the happiness they both seek? Or are they fated to live their lives alone?

I didn’t want the same ole question and answer interview so I asked for a window into Lyn’s soul and I got it! I can picture her riding free in the hills, hair blowing behind her and the power of her steed beneath her legs.

Settings and scenery are nearly as important to me in my writing, as the characters. In fact, the settings are actually almost characters themselves, influencing the 'flesh and blood characters' in their actions and they way they live their lives. It's where the heroes and heroines live, breathe - and fall in love. I love the Welsh Mountains, their grandeur and majesty, and hours of solitary riding , taking in their beauty, was a wonderful way of letting my imagination soar and create alien landscapes, with their own mystique and appeal.

My native Wales has inspired nearly everything I've written and many of my imaginary scenes are really based on memories of actual places and the weather conditions that set them in my mind. For instance, watching the mist over the mountains inspired the creation of the planet Niflheim (named after the 'land of mist and cold' of Norse legends) that I used in my first novel, 'Starquest'. Of course Wales is not perpetually covered with snow and shrouded in mist, but that almost ethereal moment sparked the idea of a misty planet in my mind. Niflheim, planet of telepaths, takes up only a small part of the orginal story, but I became fond of the mist shrouded world and her people, especially Tamarith, who becomes a good friend of the heroine in Starquest. So I ended up writing a sequel, entitled 'Children Of The Mist', which is mainly set on Niflheim and takes place about six years after the first book ends.

I'm a great believer in having a 'rationale'. I'm not one of those people who think because it's 'fantasy' and there are dragons, the dragons should be there just 'because it's fantasy' (for the record there aren't any dragons in either book, although I've nothing against dragons.) But - if dragons are in a story, I want to know how they evolved and what their function is, their reason for being. The same thing applies to telepaths. So I decided that the Niflheim had originally been colonised by settlers from Earth. When the early pioneers settled on this new world, at first finding it very inhospitable, cold and misty, many parts covered in ice and snow for much of the year, they had to have something special to enable them to survive when scattered across the planet. They renounced the technology of Earth, with all its problems, but how would they deal with life in such a hostile environment with no means to communicate across miles of unsettled territory? The answer was simple. The colonists would include individuals who each had some extra sensory ability. Over time they would develop and increase these skills until telepathy became their usual form of communication and telekinesis was commonplace. I'm not sure when I first knew that the settlers had called their new planet Nifheim, but as the Norse 'land of cold and mist, it seemed fitting.

The settings for both my novel Starquest, and the sequel Children Of The Mist were very important for both books. It was the same with my story in the Wild Rose Press's series 'Song Of The Muses'. Although 'Dancing With Fate' begins (logically enough) in Ancient Greece, it swiftly moves on to 5th Century Wales. It's natural I suppose, that I should be so inspired by Wales, where I grew up and lived most of my life. Its mountains and lakes are beautiful and mysterious, and the country is full of its own myths and legends which add their own atmosphere to the landscape.

Much of the land is still wild and unspoiled and it was easy to picture it as it might have been sixteen hundred years ago. Why this time period? Well, I love the idea of living close to nature, without the hustle and bustle of modern living. There was another reason too - King Arthur was born around this time and some of the Arthurian legend is woven into my story. Many parts of Wales are named after him and his knights - for instance the name of the 3,000 ft mountain in Snowdonia, Cadair Idris is translated as The seat of Idris. or 'Arthur' As well as lakes and mountains, of course, Wales is full of spectacular waterfalls. A certain waterfall plays a very important part in 'Dancing With Fate'. The muses were, after all, water nymphs, and Terpsichore, the muse of dance, is no exception. In fact, she takes every opportunity to bathe in one, regardless of who might be watching!

As well as human characters I have a number of animal characters in my books as well. 'In Dancing With Fate' the two horses, Hari and Sal are based on my Welsh Cob, Harry, and my old endurance mare, Sally, who sadly I lost last year when she was thirty four years old. I thought it fitting to imortalize her in my story. There are ponies in both Starquest and 'Children Of The Mist as well, genetically modified to withstand the harsh conditions, and descended from the hardy little Fjord ponies. These are mostly sandy or 'buckskin' in color, again very similar to Sally. I also have a large, telepathic bear like creature in both this story and 'Starquest'. He's really more like a dog although he's called an 'ice cat'. The Nifls keep them as pets, and shear them like sheep for their long fleeces. No, I don't have a real ice cat, but I do have a rescued Jack Russell terrier, who, like the ice cat, is extraordinarily intelligent and understands everything I say!

Lyn’s love for her animals is only dwarfed by her love of people. She’s kinda partial to books too. One of these days I hope she is able to move back to her beloved Wales. You never know.

Excerpt;

Tamarith stopped and gazed for a moment across the water. The G-type sun, now fully risen, caused the lake to shimmer like a veil of golden silk, with scarcely a ripple disturbing its calm. The pastel-colored walls of the graceful buildings on the shore reflected the glow of both suns. In the distance, the mountains encircling the settlement reached high into the cerulean sky. The swirling mist that hid their summits was as much a part of Niflheim as the earth upon which she and Vidarh stood.

She sensed his mind discreetly touch hers and realized he was staring at her keenly. She turned back to face him, returning his questioning glance and studying him in turn. Taller than average, and broad-shouldered, today he wore a sleeveless, belted leather shirt over thick breeches, with long, icecat-wool lined boots. His upper arms were well muscled, his skin tanned as if he were used to working outdoors. His curly, dark auburn hair, kept away from his face with a plain leather band, reached almost to his shoulders. It caught the sun’s rays and gleamed like the polished dark red wood of the trees that flanked the feet of the mountains.

She took in his clear, hazel eyes, with their friendly twinkle, the long, straight nose, strong jaw line and smiling mouth. He would have been fighting off the local unattached young women if the situation they found themselves in were not so serious. Not that she was particularly interested in his looks, or those of any other man, for that matter.

No, something else about Vidarh of Ragnak excited her curiosity.

It’s about yesterday.

Thanks Lyn for blogging with us today. Lyn’s books can be purchased through the usual online booksellers, and now through The Wild Rose Press Too.

Those of us who know Lyn you are fortunate to call you friend. I am so lucky to be one of them!!

37 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 17, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

    Excellent interview, Mary R. Welcome Hywela Lyn! Your story sounds like one I'd enjoy. I also love choosing the right settings for my characters to do their thing.

  2. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM  

    First of all, thank you to the ladies of The Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers for having me here today - and to my sweet friend, Mary, for inviting me and for your lovely write-up, Mary, gosh that's made me go all'pink and fuzzy' LOL!

  3. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

    Hi Mary M

    Thanks so much for your welcome, yes, settings are so important, arn't they?

  4. Judith Keim // September 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

    Hi, Hywela Lyn! Thanks for stopping by. It's such fun to meet new people and find out what they are writing. I loved reading the excerpt...You describe setting so well. Good luck with your books!

  5. Miss Mae // September 18, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

    Hi Lyn,

    You really are some kinda horse woman if you can ride Harry while wearing pink fuzzy slippers! hee hee...

    Congrats again on all your thrilling success, you certainly deserve it, and I'm so happy COTM won a cover award...yaaayyy!!

  6. Beth Trissel // September 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

    Wondeful post, Lyn and Mary. Welcome to the Fuzzies Lyn. You are a shining light at the Wild Rose Press.

  7. Sharon Donovan // September 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

    Hi Lyn, Mary and all the ladies of the PFS! What more can I say, Lyn? You are a wonderful person, a fantastic writer and have a fan for life. It's an honor to know you and call you a dear friend. All good things,
    Sharon

  8. Unknown // September 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

    Dear Hywela and Mary--you should add "warm" to Pink, fuzzy slippers. Such a wonderful group of authors here, with fantastic authors.Great interview--very creative and innovative writing. You are one of a kind--congratulaitons of your wonderful review, too!Celia

  9. Mary Ricksen // September 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

    We are a pretty good bunch of nuts.

    To me the imagery is the most important part of the book. I want to be there, I want to feel the breeze, smell the flowers, hear the noise, if you can put me there, I love it.

  10. Mary Ricksen // September 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

    I love it when people say nice things. It makes me smile!

  11. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

    Judy, thanks so mucy, so glad you enjoyed the excerpt.

  12. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

    Lula, yes, pink fuzzy slippers are a bit difficult to ride in - but don't they look nice against Harry's black shiny coat? LOL

    Aw thanks - yes it was a real thrill winning the cover award - and you won one last month so we both have something to celebrate!

  13. Mona Risk // September 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

    Hi Lyn, I am so happy Mary invited you here. You sure know your Wales and mix the setting so well to the stories. Great excerpt.

  14. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

    Aw Beth, you make me blush! What a sweet thing to say!

  15. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

    Sharon, my dear friend, the honour is mine, I think you're courage and determination, not to mention your talent are amazing,and I treasure our friendship!

  16. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

    Celia, thank you! Yes the Pink Fuzzy ladies are amazing! And yes, I've been thrilled by my reviews, it's always so encourging when revieweres say nice things about oene's work!

  17. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

    Hi Mary, yes people are so nice, aren't they! And I so agree about the importance of imagery!

  18. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

    Mona - thanks so much, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the excerpt!

    It's been great to be part of the 'Pink Fuzzies' today, such a talented group of ladies!

  19. Mary Ricksen // September 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

    They are a fun and talented group. You are sooo right.
    So what made you decide to write seriously Lyn?

  20. Sheila Deeth // September 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

    Lovely interview. And Lyn really does bring scenery to life. I still picture the places from Starquest in my mind's eye whenever I hear of her.

  21. Toni V.S. // September 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

    A lovely interview, and a lovely person!

  22. Mary Ricksen // September 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

    You are so right Toni. She is.

  23. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

    Hi Mary

    What made me decide I wanted to write seriously? Now there's a question! I'm not sure if I ever made a conscious decision about that. I've always loved writing stories. At school I always turned essays into stories, and wrote stories for my friends. I made stories up and acted them out in my head. In my teens I sold some short stories to magazines and started writing a novel. It's really only been the last few years, when I finished working full time and was able to concentrate more on my writing that I knew now was the time to try to achieve my dream of having a full length novel published - and thanks to The Wild Rose Press, that dream was achieved with the 'book of my heart' (to use a terrible cliche) 'Starquest'.

  24. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

    Aw thank you Sheila, you are so kind and supportive - and thank you for your lovely review on Shelfari, that means so much to me!

  25. Hywela Lyn // September 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

    Toni, I don't know what to say - I've met so many lovely people and talented writers since I was published in the US, I just feel so privileged to know you all. I'm so glad you liked the interview, and Mary, bless her, has given me something to live up to in that lovely introduction!

  26. Shawna Thomas // September 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

    Hi Lyn, your excerpt and blurb are intriguing and *sigh* Wales is one of those places I dream of visiting. Even more so now.

    Great interview!

  27. Nightingale // September 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

    I'm a horsewoman too. In the past, I raised Andalusian horses, showed and trained them. I know what it's like to love the equine! Great interview.

  28. Mary Marvella // September 18, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

    Thanks for tuning in to the Lyn and Mary R show. They did a fabu job! Welcome friends of Lyn and our own Mary!

  29. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 19, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

    Mary, great interview. Hywella Lyn welcome to the fuzzies. I read your words with great interest. While working on a short story with MM we did pretty much the same thing in world building. I found it a fun way to work. Thank you for allowing us a peek into your methods!

  30. Author Roast and Toast // September 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

    Hi Lynne,

    Thanks so much for your kind comments.

    Yes, Wales is wonderful, I'd love to visit the Western STates but I'm so grateful for having the chance to live and work in the Welsh countryside, and to enjoy the companionship of my horses and dogs there.

  31. Hywela Lyn // September 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

    Hello Nightingale.

    So glad you enjoyed the interview.
    Oh, Andalusians are so beautiful, althogh I guess all breeds are beautiful in their own way.

  32. Hywela Lyn // September 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

    Hi Scarlet

    Thanks so much - yes, world building is a fascinating thing, isn't it, and it's amazing where one's imagination can take one.

  33. Hywela Lyn // September 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  34. Hywela Lyn // September 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

    Oops, let's try that again!

    Mary - thanks again to you and Mary M and the rest of the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers. I've had a wonderful time here and it's been great meeting some new on-line friends.

  35. Josie // September 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

    Welcome, Hywela Lyn, to the Pink Fuzzies. Great interview, Mary. Yes, imagery and settings are so very important.

  36. Hywela Lyn // September 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

    Thank you so much Joanne, yes, I really enjoyed 'talking' to Mary and guesting at te Pink Fuzzy Slippe

  37. Josie // November 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

    Thank you, Mary, for such an informative interview. And, welcome Hywela!

    You sound like a very special friend.