Desire

Posted by Judith Keim | 7:20 AM | 10 comments »

Desire is a wonderful word. Saying it aloud, rolling the word slowly on my tongue, lowering my voice, makes it a word that invokes a hot sexy image. Spoken in sharp, crisp tones, the word gives me a sense of strong determination. Both can be useful interpretations.
Main characters in novels usually desire something, work hard for it, try and fail and finally succeed so that at the end of the book the reader has a sense of the character’s triumph, of lessons learned, of finding the love and satisfaction we all …ahem… desire.
It doesn’t matter what kind of writing we do--from sweet stories, to steamy romance, to romantic suspense--desire plays a part, not only in our characters’ lives, but in the lives of those of us who create the scenes.
Desire drives me (and many writers I know.) It is the fervent wish to express myself so well that this deep need within me to write will produce something I can offer as a gift to readers who will laugh and cry and find pleasure in what I’ve created. It is what I most desire.
How about you? Do you find this determination the driving force behind you as you sit and work long hours in front of a computer, spinning stories? What drives you?

10 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

    Great post! Need drives me. The need to tell my stories, learn more about my characters, and make them stop bothering me!

  2. Beth Trissel // September 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

    Well said, Judy. You spoke for me too.

  3. Josie // September 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

    I enjoyed your post, Judy. Well written and very thought provoking.

  4. Judith Keim // September 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

    Yes, Mary, I know about those characters that say, "Me, me! I'm next!" LOL

  5. Judith Keim // September 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

    Beth, you already do that, tell stories people love to read! You're doing so well!

  6. Judith Keim // September 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

    Thanks, Joanne. People who are not writers sometimes don't understand how we can sit for hours, all alone, in front of our computers and work!!

  7. Author Roast and Toast // September 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

    There are so many kinds of desire.
    But I think it's the one work which best defines what drives us.
    Desire for success, to be published, to do well, heck desire for godiva chocolate, different things we desire motivate us in everything we do.

  8. Judith Keim // September 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

    Thanks, Username for your comments. I agree, desire drives us in so many directions and, yes, I've done things for a reward at the end, like Godiva chocolate. LOL

  9. Mona Risk // September 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

    Desire is a nice word. What a lovely idea to post about its definitions Judy.

  10. Patrice // November 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

    Desire - it is a great word, isn't it? I have wanted to be a writer since I was 12 years old, because I fell in love with reading and wanted to give that gift back, a chance to escape to a new world, fall in love, experience the lives of others. My desire to publish to the big houses fuels me everyday, and it's full of heart-ache too. I have a friend who says at least I still have dreams left. It's sad to think she doesn't.