THINGS I MISS

Posted by Beth Trissel | 11:12 PM | , | 5 comments »

By Mary Ricksen

As I was standing by my car waiting for the $30.- I put into the tank, it moved so fast I thought, 'What the hell'. This is so bad, I remember when they pumped the gas and cleaned my windshield to. My mind, being unable to stay in one place long moved on.

I looked around at a couple of kids whizzing by on skateboards. I wondered, what happened to roller skating, with the baseball cards in your spokes to make a cool sound.

Roller skates, now what happened to them, now it's roller blades, speed kills people, slow down, put a pair of those metal thingee's on your shoes and feel the concrete grind, sending the feeling up and down your legs.

What about roller skating at fast food places. Where they skated to your window and skated back with your food. A&W root beer in a big frosted mug. If your parents let you put that scoop of ice cream in, heavenly.

How about Soupy Sales, did any of you, send in those green things of your parents.
I miss you Fang.

Drive in movies, with your boyfriend, oh the necking. Ever had a hickey.

How about finding the tag Made in America, we used to be upset by made in Japan, now we miss that, because the made in China thing is killing us.

Comic books and bubble gum on Saturday, if only you had kept them.

Swimming at the YMCA, chlorine smell and athletes foot anyone?

$4.- paperback books.

Ed Sullivan, I hated Sundays but, the Beatles! the Rolling Stones! the Doors! All those great groups, who made you cry and scream and laugh and talk about all day the next day in school.

Christmas, not just the holiday, but all the relatives getting together. Now that was fun, bear hugs from uncle Frankie, all the kids everywhere. Relatives who you haven't seen forever, getting away with stuff, presents. Where did that go?

Shag carpets, hard to clean but cool.

Ordering from that Sears catalog that was around forever. Why is it gone?

$1.- Saturday matinées, cheap popcorn, and a cool way to spend a rainy day.

Horseback riding,when your body still worked well enough to do it.

Guys opening doors for you, let alone offering you a seat.

Tye died clothes. Not only for hippies, we all wore them.

The three Stooges, all five of them. When they went on the spaceship and found the unicorn. God, if you like slapstick, they beat Laurel and Hardy if you ask me.

I could go on and on, but then I hear it in the back of my mind. Buzzing around and tickling my brain. It's my mother and she's missing Perry Como.

We all miss something, and to each his own. I'm just wondering what else will go by the wayside. Lost, Big brother, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, where will it end? Although thinking about it, some things are better off missed.

5 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // June 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM  

    Mary, my college freshman daughter and her friends recently tye-dyed T-shirts. So, there's hope of a come back. Very cute post. :)

  2. Mary Ricksen // June 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

    Your daughter is adorable on the horse. I used to just love it, more than anything. I miss that one badly.

  3. Beth Trissel // June 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

    Actually, this pic is of my niece. She's adorable too, And yes, I used to love horseback riding greatly, until I got run away with/thrown one too many times and chickened out. I still love horses though.

  4. Mary Marvella // June 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

    I remember those things and more. I remember when I had to learn to pump gas at the cheap stations that didn't have gas attendants.'member when self pump was a few cents cheaper than full service? 'member Service stations?

  5. Josie // June 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM  

    Beth,
    Your piece brought back lots of memories for me. We must be from the same era. :)