When Lucy Hollister tried to drop-kick her personal computer out her second-story window, she had no idea it would eventually lead to the seduction of her very hot, very yummy best friend, Rory Carlisle.

After all, she’s the queen of passivity, and he’s the reining king of the non-committed relationship. When a sexy online flirtation leads the couple into some steamy situations, Rory realizes that his cute best friend is letting loose—in the best possible way.


Can this couple get past old hurts and guarded hearts to embrace the passionate love that awaits?

Excerpt From Letting Luce:

“Who did you do it for?” Rory asked.

Lucy’s heart thudded in her chest. She couldn’t quite meet his eyes. His velvety voice, rough yet smooth, caressed nerve endings strung tight like piano wire.

“Lucy,” he said softly. “Who did you wear that dress for?”

Oh, he was good. He knew damn well she’d dressed up for him. In a sudden flash of insight, she realized she wasn’t fooling anyone, especially Rory.

“I know you,” he said, his voice whispering over her. “ScorpioCutie.”

Her breath caught, and her eyes moved to his face. He watched her with the single-minded intensity he saved for naughty co-eds and naughtier computers.

“What did you just call me?”

“You heard me,” he answered huskily.

Silent, her gaze skittered away from his, flying away like a nervous bird before landing on a spot a few feet beyond his shoulder. She considered denying it all. How much could he know, after all? He might be guessing. Then she thought of his heated gaze, those knowing eyes, that flash of insight.

Her skin heated with embarrassment. “How long have you known?”

God! Why couldn’t she just be ScorpioCutie? Why couldn’t she charge over there and throw him down on the grass? What stopped her?

Three words: Lucille Louise Hollister.

“A couple of weeks.”

“How did you find out?”

His heated stare burned her flesh. “You forgot to delete the chat logs.”

Duh! “Why didn’t you say anything sooner?”

“Why didn’t you?”

Good question. She didn’t know if he wanted to hear the truth. So she lied. “It was part of the game.”

He lifted a brow. “So this is just a game?”

Lucy nodded, but she couldn’t look him in the eye. He turned to her with predatory grace; stalking her, closing her in, forcing her to lean against one of the metal beams. The cold seeped in from the steel, saturating her skin as a prickle of goosebumps that spread across her body.
He looked like a large feral animal, and she was his prey.

With nowhere to go.

Rory stopped an inch from her. He was so big, towering over her. His hot breath fanned across her cheek. He lifted a finger and ran it down her neck. She couldn’t control the delicious tremor that ran through her...

By Author Jenny Gilliam ~ Spicy Romance with a Dash of Humor
LETTING LUCE, Available June 20 from Amira Press!

THE WEDDING WAR, Now Available in digital and print from The Wild Rose Press!
THE TRUTH ABOUT ROXY, Available November 17 from The Wild Rose Press!

20 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // June 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

    Welcome Jenny to the Fuzzies! Your new release sounds super!

  2. Josie // June 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

    Great read, Jenny. I love your writing style. Very hip and contemporary.

  3. Lynn Raye Harris // June 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

    Great excerpt, Jenny! I was sorry it ended. :) Very hot.

    The best friends into lovers plot is always a great read! What made you want to write about it? (I tend to be partial to reunion plots in my own work -- not sure why, LOL.)

  4. Anonymous // June 20, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

    Jenny,

    This is a great blend of humor and heat! What's your writing process when it comes to balancing these two? Do you find it easier to crank out the comedic elements or the steamy stuff?

  5. Susan Anne Mason // June 20, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

    Well that got the juices pumping! Amazing how steamy a scene can be without really any physical contact.

    Well done, Jenny. I wish you many sales ahead!

    Sue

  6. C.J. Redwine // June 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

    Nice chemistry! Sounds like a good read. I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

  7. Beth Trissel // June 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

    You have a flair with sexual tension, Jenny.

  8. Jenny Gilliam // June 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM  

    Thanks, ladies for your wonderful comments and support! I've always been in love with the concept of being in love with your best male friend ('cause it happened to me) and unrequited love. I want all of my stories to be that way, but then I don't want them to be the same, either. This was my favorite novel to write--I absolutely fell in love with the characters. It was rejected so many times that I never thought it would see the light of day, so this is truly a feat for me. As for the steaminess vs. comedy, I love steaminess--it's in ALL of my books--and sarcasm is my fist language, so it comes naturally. I think. Thanks again!

  9. Paty Jager // June 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

    Great excerpt, Jen! Congrats!

  10. Mona Risk // June 20, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

    What a nice read. I love the sensual tension. Both your characters are so attractive.

  11. Mary Ricksen // June 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM  

    It doesn't always happen, that chemistry. Sounds like a wonderful, can't put me down read.

  12. Toni V.S. // June 20, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

    That first sentence is great! If only tossing the computer around could make something like that happen!

  13. K. // June 20, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

    Okay, you totally hooked me with the first sentence. :) And the excerpt just sealed the deal. Can't wait to read it!

  14. http://kriskennedy.net // June 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

    Jenny,
    Can I drop-kick mine out of a THIRD story window? LOL What a great set-up.

    I agree with others--so often the conflict between hero/heroine is filled with dislike and snippiness at best, which can only carry a reader so far. I'd much rather have them impressing and respecting one another, w/ real affection demonstrated.

    It's nice to hear yours are friends. Looking forward to it!

    Congratulations on the release!
    Kris

  15. Mary Marvella // June 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

    Sounds like my kind of book, Jenny.

  16. Mary Marvella // June 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

    Sounds like my kind of book, Jenny.

  17. Beth Trissel // June 21, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

    Well, Jenny, I'd say that was a resounding cheer on your new release!

  18. Anonymous // June 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

    Jenny, your story sounds great--full of steamy sexual tension. I'm looking forward to reading it.

  19. Jenny Gilliam // June 21, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

    Thank you so much, Beth and ladies, for having me!!!!

  20. Helen Scott Taylor // June 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

    Hi Jenny, great excerpt! I love stories about best friends getting together.