Irish Soda Bread

Posted by Helen Scott Taylor | 2:06 PM | , , | 1 comments »

One of the traditional Irish foods I enjoy on my trips to Ireland is Soda Bread covered in lashings of Irish butter. I have to admit, I am not a very skilled or, dare I say, enthusiastic cook. My darling daughter is, lucky for me, both skilled in the kitchen and eager to help, so she prepares most of our family meals.

This recipe for Soda Bread is quick and simple. One even I can manage to prepare!

Ingredients:

500g wheat flour (mix white and whole-meal according to taste)
500ml buttermilk
1.5 teasp. salt
1.5 teasp. baking soda

Preparation:
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Butter a rectangular bread-tin.
3. Place dough into the tin.
4. Bake at 180 C for 45-55 minutes. Check if done by piercing loaf with a clean dry knife. If it comes out dry, the bread is cooked.

1 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // October 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM  

    Aren't you fortunate to have such a willing cook in your home! My youngest daugher, a freshman in college, also likes to bake. I'd love to try your recipe. It sounds fabulous!