When you feel the presence of the hawk totem, avoid distractions and focus on the task at hand.

 I’ve had two visits from hawk. The first happened at the beginning of the week. I was driving when this blur flew across the road in front of me, landed on the shoulder of the road, flapped its wings, and became airborne again with a small rodent clutched in its talons. It flew back across in front of me. Slowing the van, I got a good look at the hawk, it was brown with a white chest. Sort of speckled looking and beautiful. I think it might have been a Redtail, but can’t be sure. Then, on Wednesday, hawk again presented himself to me. Or rather I should say themselves, there were two hawks this time.

The road that winds through the small college campus in the town where I live is well-manicured and well- travelled. On my way home from water aerobics, I noticed two very large birds under a tree beside the road. As I passed by, I realized there were two hawks. Beautiful, youthful looking birds who were leisurely enjoying their breakfast right beside the busy roadway. I sat and watched them for quite a while.

When I got home, I went to get my Animal Speak book and looked up hawk’s message.  Avoid distractions and focus on the task at hand. Yep, that is a very strong message for me. I tend to scatter my energy. Hawk is telling me to focus. As you can see, the hawks in the pictures were not allowing any distractions, they maintained focus. Now if I can just apply their message.


11 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // June 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM  

    Wow, Scarlet! Better follow the message or there might be 3 hawks next time.

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM  

    Three? Man that would be awesome.

  3. Carol // June 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM  

    Hawks are beautiful. Quite a message for me also!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM  

    Carol, thanks for stopping by. I loved watching the hawks, looked for them again this morning, but they were not in the same spot.

  5. Barbara Monajem // June 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM  

    I used to have a copy of that Animal Speak book... Fascinating stuff.

    I see a lot of crows. Would love to see more owls. And some bats...

  6. Mary Ricksen // June 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. Mary Ricksen // June 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM  

    I once saw a red tailed hawk grab a lizard off the ground right in front of me.
    Nature always makes me feel better.
    Three has to be good luck!

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM  

    Barbara, I really enjoy reading my Animal Speak book now and then. It is always interesting.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM  

    Mary, I saw one once on the interstate that swooped down in the median and put on an amazing show as it caught a rabbit. It looked like a scene out of a movie. Beautiful.

  10. Nightingale // June 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM  

    A message indeed! I didn't see them except in your pictures, but need to take their message to heart.

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM  

    Linda, you must indeed listen to their message. Share hawk's wisdom and magic.