My neighbor owns a blueberry farm. Great for me because I love, love, love blueberries. I can’t pick enough to satisfy my craving for them before the season, in our area, is over. The low bush blueberry flourishes in the forests of Maine, making Maine the largest producer of the fruit in the world. LOL, I might need to make a trip north.

A large portion of the calories in this food comes from sugars. One cup equals 84 calories. Yikes! I eat them like popcorn, so no wonder I’ve been fighting the scale.
The fruit does have awesome health benefits, however. Blueberries are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, and a very good source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Blueberries are packed with antioxidant power, which comes from high levels of anthocyanins, a type of plant compound.

Also, Research has shown that blueberries have improved insulin sensitivity in overweight men and women, and lower blood pressure levels in pre-diabetic men and women without raising blood sugar. The key may be the anthocyanins, which have been shown in several laboratory-based animal and cell studies to cause blood vessels to relax and increase production of nitric oxide that helps in maintaining normal blood pressure.

Berries also have anti-inflammatory effects and may be a memory-protecting food. Good news for me, because some days I wonder where I left my head.
The resveratrol found in blueberries may help prevent macular degeneration, a disease of the retina and the leading cause of blindness in people older than 65, according to vision researchers. Like the cranberry, blueberries might help prevent bladder infections by preventing bacteria from attaching to the walls of the bladder.
Who knew this little blue fruit could do all this.

One of my favorite recipes is a blueberry custard pie. It is yummy, but remember, if you do try it, like any other fruit pie, it contains sugar and should be enjoyed with that in mind.


AJ’s Awesome Blueberry Custard

Preheat oven to 400°.
Make a pie crust for a deep dish 9 inch pie pan.
Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 egg yolks (set whites aside).
Then add 2 1/2 cups of blueberries.
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold 1/3 of stiffen whites into mixture at a time. (DO NOT MIX- FOLD)
Pour slowly into unbaked pie crust and place in oven. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes then turn down to 375°. Bake until top is nice and brown and when you insert a knife it comes out clean.


Enjoy!

5 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM  

    Autumn, I have blueberries in the frig! Was wondering what to do with them. Granddaughter didn't finish them off, so pie it will be! Thanks for sharing your love of blueberries.

  2. Autumn Jordon // July 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM  

    You're welcome, Scarlet. It's a great light pie for a hot day. Enjoy!

  3. Patrice Wilton // July 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

    I think the health factor outweighs the calorie intake, and although I don't overindulge, I like them very much, esp mixed with strawberries and on a sponge cake with whipping cream and Grand Marnier. Do I need to say more?

  4. Mary Ricksen // July 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM  

    oh gosh how darn yummy!!!

  5. Josie // July 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM  

    Autumn,
    Blueberries have calories? Really? The health benefits far outweigh any weight gain, IMHO.