One of my favorite childrens’ books is also true of life here in the country.   There’s even a Duck Crossing sign in the neighboring town of Dayton near the creek that runs off of Silver Lake.  And plenty of ducks to watch for.

This time of year the ducklings are delightful to observe, waddling after their mamas and zipping behind them over the water, bobbing, dabbling, and whatever it is that ducks do.  Such cheerful creatures, far better tempered than most geese.   The two species tolerate each other but seldom form a close acquaintance, that is until the mallard nesting outside my parent’s back door near the driveway hatched out her fuzzy brood.  After a trip to the river, just down from their  house, she returned with her babies  in tow and a concerned gander who seems to feel an obligation to watch over the little duck and her family.

Highly unusual.  But then, you never can tell with ducks or geese…sometimes they surprise you.

We once had a sole pair of ducks who hatched only a single offspring.  As the little fellow grew, he became something of a problem, pestering his parents for a pal.  One day, his mother took him away and came back without him.  We assume she found  a mate for her young drake.

*These pics are taken by my mom of the mama duck and her new babies and the concerned gander.

7 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

    Thanks, Beth! I have been off line for three days and am going batty! I love this blog, too!

  2. Beth Trissel // May 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

    Thanks so much Mary. Glad to have you back. :)

  3. Mary Ricksen // May 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

    I used to have a duck for a pet. He would walk with my feet. Twining between them. The first day I took him to the lake he dove under and disappeared. I almost had a heart attack! Then he appeared floating on the top about 50 feet from me.
    I loved that duck, crazy huh?

    Very nice blog Beth, thanks!

  4. Autumn Jordon // May 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

    Ah, too cute. I love the babes of spring.

    On Sunday, DH & I dropped my car off at the station for inspection the next day. The garage is next to the canel. When I got out of my car, DH said watch out in front. There sat a pair geese and their half dozen fuzzy yellow and black brood. They were so cute. I didn't get to close though. The gander stood guard and I know too well how they can nip.

    Thanks for the smile.

  5. Mary Marvella // May 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

    Beth, I was having withdrawal pains. I kept trying to make a connection every few hours. My computer laughed at me!

  6. Beth Trissel // May 5, 2010 at 11:57 PM  

    Love the duck and gosling stories.

  7. Josie // May 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

    Beth,
    Your posts are always so uplifting. And the pictures are gorgeous.