Margie Lawson —psychotherapist, writer, and international presenter— developed innovative editing systems and deep editing techniques for writers. She teaches writers how to edit for psychological power, how to hook the reader viscerally, how to create a page-turner.

Thousands of writers, from newbies to bestsellers, have learned Margie’s psychologically-based deep editing material. In the last five years, she presented over fifty full day Master Classes for writers in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

For more information on Margie’s lecture packets, on-line courses, master classes, newsletter, and the 3-day Immersion Master Class sessions offered in her Colorado mountain-top home, visit: www.MargieLawson.com.

NOTE: I included a promo piece for Brenda Novak’s Diabetes Auction below the blog. You’ll see my diabetes auction donations – that include:
 A WRITE AT SEA CRUISE
 A FLYING GETAWAY
 An IMMERSION MASTER CLASS
Fun! Fun! Fun!
PLUS -- More fun!

Check out the cartoon Dare Devil Dachshund Contest on my web site. You could win one hour of my Deep Editing brain. www.MargieLawson.com
THANK YOU!

A big Colorado bear hug for Autumn Jordon for inviting me to have fun with Pink Fuzzy Slippers today. Thank you!

No Cookie Cutter Characters:
Use Your Multiple Personalities!
By Margie Lawson


We all know writers are quirky. I believe writers have multiple personalities too.

Not at a clinical level.

Not at a need-to-be-hospitalized-in-psych-ward level.

But definitely at a Ha!-I-can-use-this-part-of-me-I-didn’t-know-or-barely-knew-existed level.

Writers have multiple creative selves. They can dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and tap some amazing personalities to enrich their stories.

NOTE: I used the power of Deep Editing nine times in the fifty-one word opening of this blog:

1) Rhetorical Device: Epistrophe – ending three or more phrases or sentences in a row with the same word or phrase

2) Rhetorical Device: Polysyndeton—using the same conjunction multiple times in a list of three or more words without any punctuation

3) Two Hyphenated-Run-Ons -- easy to spot ;-)

4) Creative Paragraphing – Creating White Space – which picks up pace

5) Power Words: quirky, multiple personalities, psych ward, amazing, enrich

6) Backloaded: quirky

7) Specified what something was NOT

8) Sentence fragments

9) Cadence

Was that opening smooth?

Was it written in a compelling style?

Did it make you want to read more?

You may not be a fan of hyphenated-run-ons (my term). No worries. Don’t write them!

If you learn how to apply, tweak, and amplify my deep editing techniques, you’ll have hundreds of new tools in the deep editing drawer of your writer’s tool box.

Hmm . . . Let’s see a blah version of the opening.

Writers could use more of their personality to create more interesting characters. They may not know they have these other selves within them. It doesn’t mean they’re crazy, but they could learn to plumb the depths of their personality to add fodder to the character building process.

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. CLICHÉ, CLICHÉ. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.

Now – we’ll return to the hopefully-not-blah blog. I’ll rewind and rerun the opening.

If you want to tune your CADENCE EAR, you could read it out loud.

We all know writers are quirky. I believe writers have multiple personalities too.

Not at a clinical level.

Not at a need-to-be-hospitalized-in-psych-ward level.

But definitely at a Ha!-I-can-use-this-part-of-me-I-didn’t-know-or-barely-knew-existed level.

Writers have multiple creative selves. They can dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and tap some amazing personalities to enrich their stories.

Writers usually infuse their main characters with personality traits that are engaging or enraging.

Sometimes they stick a trait on a character like they are pinning the tail on the donkey.

Hee Haw!

The personality trait may be close to the right fit. But like George Clooney’s suit, it better be meticulously tailored.

How do you tailor a personality trait for your character?

You try on that character’s personality. You audition that trait.

You consider how that trait could have initiated, what needs it meets, how it developed, how it morphed, and always, how it impacts all facets of their personal and professional life, career choices, interests, relationships . . .

Writers can use METHOD ACTING to boost emotional authenticity.

Method Acting is a psychological approach to acting.

Gee – Those who know me won’t be surprised that I’m recommending an approach that is psychologically based.

Method Acting involves having a performer tap their memories and experiences and use them to access emotions. Use them to make the character’s speech and movements emotionally credible.

Method Acting includes relaxation, sense memory, concentration, affective memory, moment-to-moment, and the magical ‘What if?’

With Method Acting -- on stage, the actors are not portraying stereotyped roles.

With Method Acting -- on the page, characters are not portraying cookie cutter personalities.

Writers are motivated to put creative energy into developing their main characters. What about the others?

How could you make your support characters more authentic? More real on the page?

Think multiple personalities. Think Method Acting. Think missed opportunities.

What happens if you have a typical support character deliver typical dialogue lines, wear typical clothes, move in typical ways?

The typical reader will skim.

Beware that you don’t make a support character so fascinating that they are too prominent. Writers need to create the right balance to be sure the wrong character doesn’t steal the page or steal the scene.

Like actors, all characters can be vital cast members. There are no insignificant actors. If an actor has a role, he should own that role and be that role as directed.

There are no insignificant characters. For every character in a book, the writer has to own the character and own the directing role too.

I was impressed by an interview with award-winning actor William Hurt on National Public Radio. One comment stuck in my mind like the tail on that donkey.

William Hurt said that an actor in one of his scenes complimented Hurt on his acting. Hurt was disappointed. Disappointed.

Hurt said he was disappointed because actors should be so immersed in owning their roles, that they can’t separate themselves from that role to observe the scene.

No cookie cutter actors going through their lines in a scene with William Hurt. He expects full immersion. He expects them to live in the character’s skin.

Have you imagined living inside each of your characters?


Crush your cookie cutters. Dig into the cookie dough to sculpt your characters.

Access your multiple personalities. Give your characters a presence on the page that boosts your writing toward a bestseller list.

Copyright © 2010 by Margie Lawson. All Rights Reserved.


NOTE: I used several more Deep Editing techniques in the rest of the blog. Did you notice them? Feel free to post one or two!

WRAPPING UP:

It’s your turn! Chime in.

Post a comment –or tell me Hi!

YOU COULD WIN A LECTURE PACKET!

The winner may choose a Lecture Packet from one of my six on-line courses.

I’ll respond throughout the day as my job allows and be back on the blog again tonight.

I’ll draw the name of the WINNER at 9:00PM MountainTime. I’ll post their name on the blog about 9:30 Mountain Time.

PLEASE KEEP READING!

I am teaching Empowering Characters’ Emotions on-line in March.

With over 300 pages of lectures, it covers body language and dialogue cues—and teaches writers deep editing techniques.

The registration deadline for Empowering Characters’ Emotions is Feb. 27th.

You can access links to register for my on-line courses from the home page of my web site. www.MargieLawson.com

FYI: If an on-line course does not fit your schedule, Lecture Packets ($22) are available through Paypal from my web site. Thank you.

BRENDA NOVAK’S DIABETES AUCTION!



NYT Bestseller, Brenda Novak, donates an amazing chunk of her life to fundraising for diabetes research. She gives months of her energy, creativity, and what would have been writing time, family time, self-time to her DIABETES AUCTION.

For writers – it’s a warm-your-heart win-win. Bid on one of the hundreds of items, support diabetes research, and you may win an experience that changes your life.

If you're not familiar with this auction -- it's a gold mine for writers!

My husband and I love to support the Diabetes Auction. With over 1000 donations, if I don’t mention our donations . . . you might miss them.

Yikes – a Missed Opportunity!

Margie’s Donations:

1. A set of six Lecture Packets

2. A 50 page Triple Pass Deep Edit Critique

3. Registration for a Write At Sea Master Class
by Marge Lawson on Deep Editing Power, April, 2011.
Donation by Margie Lawson and Julia Hunter.


4. A FLYING GETAWAY FOR TWO

You select the destination – any place within 600 nautical miles from Denver.

A weekend, you and a friend, plus my pilot-husband flying our four-seater plane, me, a night in a hotel, and a two-hour deep editing consult. The consult is on the ground, not while we’re flying. ;-))

5. Registration for an IMMERSION MASTER CLASS session!

A $450 value . . .

The three-day Immersion Master Class sessions are designed as a personalized, hone-your-manuscript experience focusing on deep editing. The sessions are held in Margie’s log home at the top of a mountain west of Denver. Participants will concentrate on transforming their manuscript into a page-turner. The winner may attend a session in the fall of 2010 (depending on availability), or one of the four sessions offered in 2011.

THE DIABETES AUCTION runs from MAY 1ST to MAY 31ST. You can tour the
Diabetes Auction site now. http://brendanovak.auctionanything.com/

Brenda Novak is my hero. What a way to give back.

Thank you for joining us today. I appreciate your time.

All the Best…………….Margie
www.MargieLawson.com

61 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

    Thanks Mar-G and Autumn!

    One of my multiple personalities was thrilled to find you in the blogosphere today.

    Maybe another one will stop by later!

    Always enjoy your tips and techniques.

    Tra-C Mastaler :)

  2. Ruth Ann Dell // February 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

    Hi Autumn and Margie

    Many thanks for a super blog filled with interesting ideas. Love the idea that writers have multiple personalities that they can plumb to create living characters.

    Margie, you used my favorite rhetorical device several times- anaphora. e.g Method Acting . . .

    Best wishes

    Ruth Ann Dell
    ruthanndell (at) mweb (dot) co (dot) za

  3. Autumn Jordon // February 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

    Margie, Welcome to the Pink Fuzzy Slipper's blog. We're thrilled to have you with us.

    I totally agree with you. The writer has to get into every characters' head inorder to make the world they've created real.

    While writing Evil's Witness, I fell in love with my villian. I went to coffee with him (well, not really but you know what I mean) and I interviewed him. Victor was charming, intriguing and enticed me to follow his lead. He started taking over my story. I wanted to include him in the next book too, but I realized I had to let him go, for now.

    Great advice.

    AJ
    www.autumnjordon.com

  4. babs m // February 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

    Someone challenged me to write a story for the NPR contest deadline this weekend (www.npr.org/threeminutefiction), and I did, but when I showed it around to my writing friends, I realized how much reading Margie's lessons has changed my writing style.
    Readers remarked on the multiple and varied sharp images (too many,they said)and the "unusual" use of space, which they thought would annoy the judges, but I think will punch up the tempo.

    I was hovering on the edge of throwing it in because of their criticism, but after reading this, I realized I'm right on with this piece and I'm sending it anyway.

    Thank you Autumn, and Margie!

  5. Jerrie Alexander // February 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

    Good morning Autumn and Margie!

    My muliple personalities live by the lessons learned from your deep edits class.

    The picture of a clown wearing a hat reminded me of how I change characters in my head. I sort of put on his or her hat, pull in on tight and away I go. Each different hat helps me individualize each role.

    Thanks for sharing today,

    Jerrie

  6. Joelle Charbonneau // February 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

    Hi Margie,

    Thanks for joining the Fuzzies for the day. I love that you compare acting to writing...as a professional stage performer, I see lots of similarities in the two professions. I am curious, the method acting technique is often taught very carefully because some less stable actors take the technique too far and push themselves to the point where they believe they are the character. Do you ever see writers who become so immersed in their writing that they believe that they are their characters or that their characters are real?

  7. Cheryel Hutton // February 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM  

    Hello Margie! I love this post. Over the past year or so I've found that I've held myself back, both in life and in my writing. Thanks to a lot of work, including learning from one Margie Lawson (grinning). I'm learning who I really am--and my writing has improved tremendously because of it.

    Thanks, Margie! You are the best teacher I ever had. No kidding :)

  8. Julie Robinson // February 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

    " Ha!-I-can-use-this-part-of-me-I-didn’t-know-or-barely-knew-existed level."

    Hmmm, Margie, so a murderer in our stories might make us, as writers, passive-aggressive?? LOL

    Thank you Pink Fuzzy Slippers for having Margie.
    I loved, loved, loved this post today and am glad I'm here early enough to comment before going back to work. I couldn't agree more with it. It's why when people ask what I'm working on, I tell them, 'whoever pops into my head that day.' I know it's an SDB, but I'm working on sticking it.

    During the summer, I was in a play and received compliments afterwards that I was 'in character' the entire time. Now to apply that to my writing!

    Your post reminded me of one of my favorite lines from Eliot's "Prufrock," 'to prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet in a crowd." Taking the writer as a character with multiples dormant personalities inside, do we not all act according to expectations in different situations? But underneath it all, like the characters that we write, a certain trait drives us. Your paragraph: 'Consider how that trait could have initiated . . .. . " brought on the Aha moment that led to this speculation.

    Thanks. I always enjoy the psycho-analysis of the motives and means of a character--real or not---to achieving a goal.
    Julie R.

  9. Julie Robinson // February 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

    Oops that's 'working on sticking to one story.'
    I always think i've proofed, but I don't really see the errors until it's in bigger print on the post.
    Julie

  10. Autumn Jordon // February 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

    I'm the same way, Julie. Just ask my Weblady. sigh.

  11. Julie Robinson // February 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

    LOL, Autumn. My DH complains 'cause I have to print everything out to see more clearly.
    He's used to it, though. :-)

  12. Mary Marvella // February 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

    Welcome, Margie! Your posts always make me want to jump in and write now, even if I have somewhere I need to go.
    I definitely have a requested manuscript I need to finish polishing and send off.

    Edna Mae, my main character, laughed when we read this blog. We have been told she was odd. Well we knew that, but I had to write her story, she insisted!

    Now I need to print this post and remind myself I can to use echo words on purpose if I wanna!

  13. Anonymous // February 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

    Margie, thanks for visiting with the pink fuzzies today. We're tickled pink that you could be with us. What a great blog and you used it as a teaching tool! Now that's my kind of instructor, show don't tell. I always learn more when give concrete example of how it should be done!

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  14. Yasmine Phoenix // February 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

    Thanks Margie for the blog and thank you for confirming that I'm not nuts when my characters and I get together and I write them as they tell me. This is one of the joys of being a writer, to create characters, the multiple personalities. I now see the buddy relationship between one of my main characters and his friend and can add that to the story.

  15. Mary Ricksen // February 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

    What an amazing amount of information!!
    Great blog you guys!!

  16. connie cox // February 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

    I was fortunate to hear Margie's lecture at our NOLA STARS conference. Great workshop,Margie!

  17. Josie // February 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

    Thanks, Margie, and welcome to the Pink Fuzzies. (Waving happily from SC) As always, your information is right on. You are the best!

  18. Rebecca Grace // February 26, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

    Thanks, Margie, for a great column. You always give me something new to think about and use! And thanks for giving me permission to hang out with those characters that I feel are so real to me.
    Your Co. pal
    Becky M.

  19. Debbie Kaufman // February 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

    Margie:
    (Waving madly)So glad to know my MPD is exactly at a diagnostic level. However, reading my villains, my husband wants a little reassurance in this area. In the meantime, he's on his best behavior :)

    Great post. I find my most powerful characters are the ones whose skin I can get into and live there for the moments I need them.

  20. Kathy // February 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

    HI Margie, I love your power packed blogs,newsletters, lectures and classes. It's always great to read a post by you and remember how to power things up when writing. I'm sure any workshops you are teaching at Nationals will be filled completely but I stillhope to land in one of them.
    *\:)<=== me waving at you.

  21. Shelley Munro // February 26, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

    As usual, a very informative and thought provoking post, Margie. I've just watched a show in the Mr. Monk series where an actor was following Mr. Monk around to get into his head. The actor went off the deep end with his character acting. It was an excellent episode. Your post reminded me of the show.

  22. Edie Ramer // February 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

    Terrific blog, Margie. In my current book, both characters are unlike me. I put myself so much in one's POV, I have to go back and soften her personality a bit.

    You said you used several Deep Editing techniques in the blog. I can give a couple examples out of many. You backloaded in these two places:

    "He expects full immersion. He expects them to live in the character’s skin."

    In this, you repeated a word:
    "Hurt was disappointed. Disappointed."

    And then you used "disappointed" in the next sentence, which makes it epistrophe.

  23. Cindy // February 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

    Love reading your blog posts, Margie. I always learn something new. I will try to tap into my multiple personalities for this new book.

  24. Donnell Ann Bell // February 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

    I don't know why, but I always hone into my characters after reading Margie's common sense explanations, and I for one prefer her in-person workshops because she's so animated in her own body language. I put on my little detective had and try to analyze what *she's* thinking, which is why Jude W. and I are trying very hard to get our schedules to mesh to take the immersion course! Oh, great blog, you fuzzy people!

  25. Patrice Wilton // February 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

    Hi Margie,
    Thanks for your wonderful blog. I took your class a couple of years ago with the FWR in Ft. Lauderdale but I think I need a refresher.
    I also noticed your repetition of certain words and phrases, but won't that drive a reader wild? I love writing in deep POV, but sometimes I don't feel as though I know them as well as I should. Like I don't care what kind of ice cream they eat. Should I care?
    Thanks,
    Patrice

  26. Judith Keim // February 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

    Hi, Margie! Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies. Great Blog! Everytime I read something of yours, I think WOW! What you say makes so much sense. You should take some of your blogs and record them so that we could buy your CDs for daily meditations!!! Thanks!

  27. Bonnie Dodge // February 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

    This came at just the right time for me. I'm trying to make a so-so character more interesting, and this gives me another way to look at her.

    Thanks Margie and PFSW, maybe I can nail that character down now.

    Bonnie

  28. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

    HELLO EVERYONE!

    Busy work day. Wish I could have dropped by earlier.

    I can respond to a few posts now. I'll be back on-line later tonight.

    TRA-C --

    I love connecting with all your personalities!

    Ruth Ann--

    You not only found one of the other rhetorical devices, you named it and spelled it correctly!

    Kudos to you!

    Autumn --

    Victor the villain sounds like a con. ;-)

  29. Jess // February 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

    Hello Margie! Sometimes something or someone happens along just when you need it/them most. The timing of your post was very serendipitous for me as I had just read an Esquire interview with Leo DiCaprio and was thinking about how things he said about acting could apply to writing differentiated characters. Your blog had a major impact on me from the get-go and I thank you so much. I have always had a raging Internal Editor, and look forward to making her an enlightened, kick ass one who takes no prisoners and um, makes none. Thank you, Margie, from the bottom of my heart and my inkwell. Jessica

  30. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

    Gosh, Margie and Autumn, what can I say that hasn't been said already? The blog was great, very informative and I've picked up some good ideas for my weekend's work. Going to "go deep." The mini lesson was right on and now, using the motivation blog from yesterday, I will be working this weekend to work through the funk that's been keeping me away from my wip. Thanks again.

  31. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

    Babs --

    Finding the right balance is tricky.

    I always caution regarding NEW TOY PHENOMENON. Watch out that you don't overdo.

    Strive for Mama Bear's chair. It's just right. :-)

  32. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

    JERRIE --

    I knew one writer who literally put on different hats for her different POV characters.

    Whatever works!

    Glad you and your multiples stopped by . . . ;-)

  33. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

    Joelle --

    Writers who have a strong acting background are often the best at capturing body language and emotion on the page.

    If you haven't read TANA FRENCH, put her on your list. I loved THE LIKENESS.

    JOELLE's QUESTION:

    Do you ever see writers who become so immersed in their writing that they believe that they are their characters or that their characters are real?

    No. I've never met any writers who are that out of touch with reality.

    Reminds me of Stephen King's MISERY. Remember Kathy Bates's performance? Award-winning!

    That's a psychotic fan.

    Too engaged and too enraged. :-)

  34. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

    HELLO CHEREYL --

    Ah, thank you.

    I'm thrilled to think that I contributed in some way to helping you access your strengths.

    BUT -- YOU DID THE WORK.

    ALL I DO IS GIVE PEOPLE THE MAPS. DOZENS OF MAPS.

    YOU HAD TO STUDY, PLAN, AND WALK YOUR PERSONAL JOURNEY.

    See -- YOU DID THE WORK. :-)

    I'm proud of you.

    POWER ON!

    BIG HUGS!

  35. Elisa Beatty // February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

    Great reminder to try to get inside the characters' skins!! Thanks!

  36. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

    HELLO JULIE R --

    You must have been a psychologist in a previous lifetime. :-)

    So cool that you were in a play last summer. Acting is becoming the character. Excellent.

    Have you read Tana French? She was a stage actress, but now she's a full time writer. Powerful writing.

    Great to e-see you again!

  37. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

    Hello Mary!

    MARY'S COMMENT:

    Now I need to print this post and remind myself I can to use echo words on purpose if I wanna!

    Yes! You can use echo words when writing some cadence-driven rhetorical devices.

    BUT -- It is critical to honor the structure that makes them be rhetorical devices. That's what makes the echo work -- versus annoy.

    Once you've met the structural requirements, you can play with it.

    I'm betting you knew that . . . I just slipped into teaching mode. :-)

    Thanks for chiming in!

  38. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

    Hello Melba --

    Thanks for commenting on my double-track blog. Glad you enjoyed my teaching points.

    It's my way of multi-level teaching and entertaining. :-)

  39. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

    Yasmine --

    Too fun that your characters talk to you!

    Glad you'll follow up on that buddy connection. I bet it will enrich your story.

    Happy writing!

  40. Gloria Richard // February 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

    Greetings Margie and Autumn! It's always a treat to get a Margie message.

    Could anyone be better qualified to teach a non-cookie-cutter-character strategy? Nope. Not in this writer's opinion.

    I made notes (of course). One was a tickled-my-fancy note on the "hopefully-not-blah-blog." When (not if) I get published, don't buy the book, Margie. I'll send you one. Don't be concerned about the missing page. Really.

    Thanks, Pink Fuzzy Slippers for offering a Margie boost. She's comparable to a vitamin B12 shot. Gloria

  41. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

    Hello Mary R --

    Glad you enjoyed the blog!

    If you haven't checked out the Deep Editing Analyses on my web site, I bet you'd enjoy them.

    I feature a Deep Editing Analysis in each newsletter too. ;-)

  42. Brenda Novak // February 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

    Great job, Margie. A writer's characters are only as clear as they are in her own head. I firmly believe that. If you know your characters well, it will show on the page.

    Thanks for all you've donated to the auction. You are amazing--and such a great teacher!

    Brenda

  43. Julie Robinson // February 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

    oh, Shelley, I love Monk! And remember that episode well. I was sorry to see the show end, but at least it had a satisfying conclusion.
    Julie

  44. Anonymous // February 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

    Great blog, Margie.

    I'm going to give Method Acting a spin around the corner.

    Connie Gillam

  45. Julie Robinson // February 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

    Thanks, Margie. I shall put Tana French on my list, as well as Stephen King's "Misery."

  46. Pamela Varnado // February 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

    Margie, thanks for spending time with the PFSWs. You've shared lots of handy information and I'm always on the lookout for how-to-writing-tips.

    Thanks for stopping by.

  47. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

    HELLO CONNIE-from-NOLA STARS!

    Great group! I had such fun with you all.

    Hope to see you at National!

  48. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

    Hello Joanne B!

    Thanks for the Pink Fuzzy Welcome!

    Great to see you again. :-))

    Big hugs............Margie

  49. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

    Hey Becky M. --

    Thank you. Glad my targeted blog hit your bull's eye. :-)

    Have fun partying with your characters!

  50. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

    Hey Debbie!

    No need to reassure your husband. We like husbands who exhibit their best behavior. :-)

    Go Warhawks!

    In case anyone's wondering about the Warkhawks, Debbie and I went to the same high school in Louisville, Ky.

    We're Warhawk sisters.

  51. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

    Kathy --

    Thank you!

    I am presenting at National. I'd love to get together. We can run laps around the Opryland Atrium.

    Or . . . not. ;-)

  52. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

    Shelley --

    Sounds like that Monk episode was well written -- and had strong actors.

    Wouldn't you love to direct a show with that kind of talent?

  53. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

    Edie --

    It's ALMOST epistrophe. CLOSE!

    But I didn't use a rhetorical device there.

    In order to be an epistrophe, all three replications of the word would have had to end the sentence.

    I played with the repetition of the word DISAPPOINTED. The way I used it was pleasing to my Cadence Ear.

    Here's how it read:

    William Hurt said that an actor in one of his scenes complimented Hurt on his acting. Hurt was disappointed. Disappointed.

    Hurt said he was disappointed because actors should be so immersed in owning their roles, that they can’t separate themselves from that role to observe the scene.

    GOOD FOR YOU for getting the term, epistrophe, right.

    Good catch on the backloading too.

    Always great to e-see you. And -- I want to see you in person again!

  54. Margie Lawson // February 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

    HELLO EVERYONE!

    It's 9:00PM Mountain Time.

    Time for me to draw a winner!

    FIRST -- I want to mention MY NEWSLETTER.

    If you already receive it, THANK YOU!

    If you haven't yet subscribed . . . GO FOR IT!

    I include a DEEP EDITING ANALYSIS in every newsletter.

    It's a Margie-mini-lecture in your e-mail.

    It's a chance for you to hone your deep editing skills in less time that it takes you to drink your morning coffee.

    FYI: Tomorrow, Feb. 27th, is the deadline for registering for Empowering Characters' Emotions. If you're interested, the link to register is on the home page of my web site. www dot MargieLawson dot com

    THANK YOU!

    I'll post the WINNER in the next e-mail. ;-)

  55. Autumn Jordon // February 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

    Margie, I know you're a few hours behind me. I need to head to bed. A big baby shower tomorrow. Thank you so much for joining us today. As always, I love it.

    Sleep well.
    (((HUGS))) Autumn

  56. Margie Lawson // February 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

    HELLO EVERYONE!

    Our WINNER is:

    *******************CONNIE COX!*****************

    Connie - Please e-mail me and let me know which of my six Lecture Packets you would like. You can read about each course on my web site. Click on each Lecture Packet for a full course description.

    THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO POSTED -- AND TO AUTUMN JORDAN FOR INVITING ME TO BE A PINK FUZZY SLIPPERED GUEST.

    May your strong writing boost you toward becoming a best seller!

    All smiles.............Margie

  57. Margie Lawson // February 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM  

    Hello Everyone!

    One more FYI.

    FYI: When you have five free minutes, check out my DARE DEVIL DACHSHUND CONTEST.

    Find the dachshund cartoon on my web site, e-mail me with the name of the page, and you're in the contest.

    Every month -- a writer wins my EDITS SYSTEM POWER PACK, which includes one hour of my deep editing brain. The winner e-mails me 15 pages of their WIP -- and we set up a phone (or Skype) deep edit critique session.

    Don't miss this opportunity for a Margie-Mind-Meld. :-)

    All smiles........Margie

  58. Margie Lawson // February 27, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

    HELLO AUTUMN!

    My THANK YOU comes with a goodie for you -- a pink fuzzy cyber-wrapped Lecture Packet. :-)

    You may have taken all six of my courses. If that's the case, you can gift a Lecture Packet to a writing friend.

    You're the best!

    All smiles...........Margie

  59. Mary Marvella // February 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

    Fabulous job, Margie! You gave each of us a real shot in the arm! Now we're thinking about how we can and must remember your lecture information for one more edit, at least, of each manuscript. Yep, this was a good as a lecture or a mini course.

    THANKS!

    Mama Mary

  60. Autumn Jordon // February 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

    OMG, margie. I'm just getting back on-line and saw your generous gift. Thank you, AJ

  61. eva slipper // April 21, 2010 at 4:01 AM  

    wow,beautiful style